040

Wrapped together after Blink's emotional confession, Blink jolted awake with a start, her hair furling around her in chaos as she turned to read the neon green letters of Justin's alarm clock

3:32 AM

Something's off...

Call it her sixth sense or maybe her constant state of paranoia, but sleep was already hard enough to come by and the chill slithering down her spine and the heightening of her hearing drove her from the bed.

Momentarily halted by the grab of Justin's warm hand around her wrist, she glanced back, sighing at his sleepy gaze and crazed bed hair. Using her free hand to brush back his messy locks, she quickly kissed his lips before she was walking across the room and slipping out of the bedroom door.

Stepping over the thin strip of the threshold was like a sudden knock to her confidence.

What was she going to do exactly once she reached the bottom of the stairs? Not only was she defenseless, aside from the few punches she knew how to throw, but she was sleeping in the confines of an unfamiliar house. Like a dummy, she hadn't paid much attention to Justin's home tour due to their tension at the time.

Keeping her steps as light as possible, Blink descended the polished wooden steps, her heart rate increasing as she walked through the foyer to reach the living room.

The feeling was still at large causing her wide eyes to flicker back in forth in hopes of catching something that didn't belong.

When she found nothing strange in either the living room or dining room, she sighed a breath of relief as she moved into the kitchen.

Reaching the fridge, a single pull on the handle shed a heap of light on the area around her and although she hated to admit it, having that bit of light surrounding her made her feel just a little more safe.

Grabbing a glass from the above cabinet next to the silver finished fridge, Blink grabbed the pitcher of filtered water, cursing herself at the adamant shaking of her hands and her accelerated breathing.

I'm being ridiculous. No one's here.

Like a broken record, she kept reassuring herself that there was no way she was in harms way. Especially with Justin upstairs, the alarm system set and no way the men after her knew she was here in Los Angeles.

Sipping absentmindedly from her cup, Blink bathed in the appliance's light for just a few more seconds before she turned to her right and closed the fridge door. 

Like seeing a ghost, Blink's eyes widened in horror and her mouth ran dry despite the drink she had sipped moments before. The crystal glass was no match for the instant sweat of her hands and before she could even react, it was slipping from her grip and clashing onto the tiled floor.

There in the doorway was a dark figure, its shoulders broad, its breathing even and its height staggering.

Blink didn't know how long she'd stood there in frozen panic, but it seemed like hours before the shadow was reaching out and the main lights of the kitchen flooded the large room in all its modern glory.