022

In an instant, Justin was by her side, scooping her up to rest on his lap as one of his hands began rubbing large circles on her back

In an instant, Justin was by her side, scooping her up to rest on his lap as one of his hands began rubbing large circles on her back. Curling her face into his shoulder, her body still trembled rhythmically, the large gasps fueling her sobbing.

"Calm down Blink," Justin whispered, slowing his consoling rubs and using his other hand to tuck the stray hairs behind her pierced ear. "You just need some sleep is all, its been a long day." She nodded in agreement, her silent tears stopping slowly.

"Which room is yours?" He asked, gesturing with his eyes down the hallway to their left.

"None of them are Justin" her voice was thick and croaky from all the crying. Wiping her eyes one last time, she was up, standing in front of him with her hand outstretched.

Grabbing her hand, he was up, following Blink as she maneuvered down the hallway. "That's why we left our bags outside. My mother would laugh in my face if I even implied the idea of staying here. She doesn't want me here and neither does my father, but at least he doesn't say it straight to my face."

All too soon they reached the end of the hall, the place where the music seemed to be the loudest. Justin could only now realize that it wasn't a song playing from a speaker, but the real instrument— someone was actually playing the piano.

Fanning her face to rid the reddish tint to her cheeks and her glassy eyes, Blink took ahold of the doorknob, looking over her shoulder to give Justin a look that said: This is the biggest surprise yet. Turning the doorknob, she thrust the door open, not caring if the bang of the door against the wall disturbed the delicate music.

The door opened up into a pink oasis; a little girl's room that was bigger than the little sliver of the master bedroom Justin had seen. Like that of her parent's room, the wall furthest from the door hosted a large canopy bed, the wood white and pink lattice material draping from the very top all the way to the bottom of the bed frame like a sacred veil.

The plush carpet was pink too, along with the bubblegum colored walls and a mini pink chandelier that hung from the middle of the room. Along the walls stood a matching white dresser, nightstand, and a white Hollywood vanity like in the movies with a rectangular mirror and adorning luminescent bulbs.

Justin was so busy taking in the room, he didn't even notice the thing closest to him. Right inside the room, closest to the door was an all white grand piano and on its bench sat a little girl with honey skin and long chocolate locks that flowed down her back and curled— just like Blink's. She could be no older than six and when she heard her door open, her nimble fingers stopped just above the black and white keys.

The music stopped immediately as the girl swiveled around, her eyes lighting up at the sight of her older sister and the friend she brought with her. "Diem!" Her hazel eyes grew wide as she hopped off the small bench, her feet carrying her as fast as she could over to Blink and into her arms, who rested on her knees with her arms wide.

"Hey baby," Blink smiled, kissing her sister on either cheek before releasing her.

The girl wasn't done though, still maintaining her hold around her older sister's torso. "Did you hear what I was playing?" She clapped her hands once in excitement. "The song you showed me last time you were here. I did it all by myself!" Her big eyes fluttered over to Justin for a second, her face scrunching at the way he was leaned against the doorframe.

"Who is he?" She asked, sidestepping Blink to walk closer to Justin.

"I'm Justin" he squatted down to her height to shake her small hand.

"My name's Althea" she smiled shyly, tucking some of her hair behind her ear.

"Justin?" She asked like she was tasting the name for the first time. "Do you want to hear me and my sister play Beethoven's Für Elise? It's his really famous piece that took him months to write. Blink taught herself in a few hours, can you believe that? A piece that took him months to compose and perfect and Blink learned it all in an hour?" The little girl looked from Justin to her big sister, who stood by the piano, with large admirable eyes.

Nodding to the piano bench, Althea wasted no time sliding onto the bench next to her big sister. "Blink I like sitting on the right!" She whined, slapping her hand to the piano bench next to her.

"I told you to stop calling me that," Blink scolded. "If mother hears that name come out of your mouth again, she'll make me leave like last time and I won't be allowed back" Blink raised her eyebrow as if to ask her little sister if she truly wanted that to happen.

"But I want you to teach me more stuff..." The girl whispered.

"Lighten up," Blink nudged her sister with her shoulder, smiling when the little girl giggled and placed her hands over the keys. Justin wished then that he could pull Blink to the side and tell her the exact same thing. From all the stuff he'd witnessed today, he didn't think he could even take the advice though; however, seeing Blink smile down at her little sister like that made his day. "I never taught you the rest of it anyway, so start from the beginning and when you get it down perfect, we'll move on"

"We're going to start at the last coda of the third stanza, don't forget this piece modulates to a major scale and don't forget the forte near the end because you decide to be lazy..."

The little girl only nodded. 

Sweet, sweet Althea. Just you wait. Comment & Vote xx