037

It took several minutes of running through the entire estate, but she'd finally found him

It took several minutes of running through the entire estate, but she'd finally found him. As she ran she didn't care about the odd glances she was getting from the few people who had decided not to partake in the auction. Her hair was unraveling with every step she was taking and her dress wasn't made for her particular running game, but she'd finally found him.

She obviously didn't expect him to hide like a child, but she certainly didn't expect him to be right outside of the front doors leaned against the aging brick entrance.

Sighing, she walked down the porch steps, her body involuntarily shivering at the nipping wind and light drizzle from above.

He stood between a few light bushes that were beginning to shed their leaves. From the doors he wasn't easy to spot, but unfortunately the rising puffs of smoke gave him away.

"Where did you get that?" She questioned, breathless.

Taking a deep pull from his cigarette, Justin blew the smoke up towards the sky in a single stream before he finally looked at her. Not that he was really looking at her, but through her described it better. His eyes were detached— holding no emotion whatsoever.

Blink cursed herself under her breath. It was like stepping back in time. He had that same look back when she'd met him months ago, the same look that silently screamed that he needed help. He wouldn't ever admit it out loud, but his eyes were a mirror to his soul and unfortunately for him they didn't lie.

"Why does it matter?" He questioned back.

"It's a nasty habit that I don't want you to start"

"Just because I'm having a spur of the moment smoke doesn't mean it's gunna turn into a habit. Worry about yourself" he snapped.

Nodding to herself and swallowing the hurt, her eyes fell to her heels when she couldn't take the sting of his eyes boring into her own. "I deserved that," she whispered, a solemn nod following.

Minutes passed by and when she shivered again, she finally took a step closer to him. She nodded when he pressed further back into the shrubbery he stood by just to escape her presence.

"Listen Justin I-I..." She really had no idea how to approach this. Especially when he acted like this. Like he couldn't care less about what he was doing or what was happening to himself. He had a scary detachment to the world in which he didn't feel anything and could seemingly turn off his emotions in the blink of an eye. She'd seen its consequences first after the party he'd disappeared to with Sarah and then later at the park in Detroit, and now it was happening again.

She wanted to know what had caused him to be able to do such a thing. Surely it was problems he faced back home... what she really wanted to know was how to stop it from ever happening. Then her stomach roiled unpleasantly when she realized every time she'd ever witnessed it, it was because of her.