Ending like the Beginning

First off, if any of you have seen the recent episode, can we talk about the almost-kiss. I am almost certain that it would be the scene when someone asks if they can kiss them, and there is no car (yet) so hopefully the Toby-dies theory won't happen. Also, I am very annoyed they keep throwing curve balls at Spencer, and causing way too much emotional distress. It makes me think Aria is A.D. because like nothing has happened to her at all. Anyways, I am in current fangirl mode and I got this idea while crying over the kiss.

Spencer stood in front of the house Toby was building. She stared at the structure, and wondered if the house would ever be completed. Her heart ached at the thought Toby wanted to get back together with her, but then he met Yvonne. Tears had been shed a lot since the confession, and Spencer never felt more alone. She loved Marco's interest in her, but she realized she wasn't over Toby. She'd never be over him. It made her hurt, a lot. All she wanted was to have a happy ending. No stalkers or killers. Just a normal, happy life. Maybe if she stayed in Washington it might have stayed that way.

Spencer didn't hear the footsteps nearby, and she jumped a foot in the air hearing her name. She turned, to see Toby. She stared at him, not wanting to reveal any emotion.

"I, um, thought you were in Maine," Spencer muttered, studdering over her words. Only Toby had that effect on her. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh, Marco called me. He wanted me to come down and . . . keep an eye out. He told me what happened when you went home," Toby spoke, awkwardly.

"Marco told you?"

"Yeah, and I knew the break in actually happened since . . . A.D. is still around."

Spencer looked at her shoes. Her mind was overwhelmed with different theories and ideas. The one that stuck out the most was her relationship with Mary Drake. She began to think she was the baby. The Hastings had barely any photos of Spencer as a baby.

"But why are you at the building of the house?" Toby asked.

Spencer shrugged, playing with her coat jacket. She didn't want to meet his eyes because she knew she would break down. She'd been having a lot of break downs lately. It scared Veronica, Spencer's mother, because she didn't want Spencer to end up in rehabilitation again.

"How's Yvonne?" Spencer asked, changing the subject. Toby noticed, he always noticed.

"Okay. She liked the move."

Spencer nodded. She hated how awkward everything felt. She looked up, and she walked over to Toby. She hugged him, unexpectedly, and he stumbled back.

"Spence, what's wrong," he muttered to her, giving her a hug back.

"Nothing. I just need a hug," she whispered. "The girls are too busy with their boyfriends or potential girlfriends."

Spencer, eventually, let go of him, and she placed her arms to her side. She looked at him, her lips hovering over his from the hug. Her breath hinged, and her heart skipped a beat. She swallowed the lump forming in her throat. She tried to keep herself from shaking. She decided right then to be selfish.

"Would it be okay if I kiss you?" she whispered. The air from her lips, which hit Toby's, sent shivers down his spine. He swallowed, knowing he shouldn't kiss her, but he still wanted to. However, Yvonne was his fiance, not Spencer.

"Spence . . ." he trailed off. He closed his eyes, and he wanted to close the gap. The tiny gap where they both could feel each other's breath. But Toby was a man to his word, and he didn't want to hurt Yvonne. He didn't want to hurt Spencer either. He knew the emotional damage from A.D. to relationships was testing her ability to keep herself together. One more thing could trigger her, then she's lost. Like when she found out he was working for Mona.

"Let's finish it where it started," Spencer whispered. "When you kissed me at the motel," her voice cracked halfway through the sentence, "and you took me off guard. Then we can leave each other. End it where it started."

Toby could hear the crying in her voice. He refused to open his eyes; he couldn't see her falling apart over him. Toby decided to close the gap between them. She kissed him back, almost instantly. He knew if he didn't pull away then, he would be lost in the abyss of Spencer Hastings. He would never find himself out, and he, deep down, wanted to fall back in. He wanted to fall back into the outstanding, thrilling, and inspirational love story they once were. He wanted to go back to old habits and love her again. He wanted her love. He wanted her quirks and her abilities. He wanted her. He missed her. He needed her.

But he knew he couldn't. Yvonne was pregnant, and he refused to abandon his child. He would push himself away from Spencer, and maybe he would fall back in love with Yvonne. If he was even in love with her to begin with. He would go back to Maine, and start a brand new life there. He would leave everything behind. Even the amazing, talented, and unoriginal Spencer Hastings.

He pulled away from the kiss, and he made the mistake of opening his eyes. Spencer did as well, and her tears were leaking from her eyes. It reminded him the night she nearly died for the second time. The night he nearly lost her, and he was the idiot who made it out like he hated her. She cried then when he said the words: Pretending not to love you was the hardest thing I've ever done. He sensed a bit of irony. He would be pretending to not love her, again, and he would be pretending to love Yvonne.

He rested his forehead against hers as his eyes teared up. His throat clogged up, and he could barely breath. He didn't want to say goodbye, but he had to be there for Yvonne.

"Goodbye, Spencer," he whispered to her.

"Goodbye, Toby," she whispered back.

Then, he pulled away. Their hands somehow intertwined and they slowly let go of each other. Toby got into his car, and he drove off. Spencer cried for the millionth time that month, but she felt like she finally could let go.

This did not turn out the way I expected it to. I like thought I would make it entirely from Spencer's point of view, but I found myself switching to Toby's. This even made me tear up and get a lump in my throat as I wrote it. This is not how I want things to turn out, but I think it will be a beautiful ending to their story. I really hope they do get back together. I want my OTP to make babies.