Pretending

This is based during season two when A made Spencer break up with Toby. This is after Hanna and Spencer helped Jenna after Jason's house caught on fire. This is how I wish the episode had gone.

-

Everything hurt. The girls gave Spencer a nervous glance after the encounter with Toby and Jenna.

"Spence, we are going to head to Hanna's, are you coming?" Aria asked.

"Uh, I'm going to stay here. I'll leave with my mom," she muttered. Her arms crossed over her chest, and she chewed her lip.

The girls nodded, leaving the hospital. Spencer sat in a chair, fiddling with her hands. Her sight was blurry from holding back her tears. She hoped Wren wouldn't reappear. She also wondered if there was another doctor in the stupid town. She wanted to talk to Toby, but she knew he hated her. She hated A for this. None of the other girls had this much of a struggle with A. If anything, A helped some of their relationships.

Pulling her knees to her chest, she sat, quietly, lost in her thoughts. She was thinking about Jenna and how she got a message. She wanted to talk to Jenna about the message. She knew Jason would never do something like that, but she knew A would. She waited for Toby to leave Jenna's side, so she would be able to talk to her.

Spencer's wishes came true when Toby left the room. Sinking low into her seat, she made herself seem invisible to Toby. A magazine covered her face, and she waited for him to leave. Once he was out of sight range, she made her way in the room.

"Toby?" Jenna asked. "Is that you?"

Spencer didn't say anything at first. "No, it's me," her voice sounded hoarse, and she knew Jenna would be able to pick up the fact she was crying. "I wanted to ask you some questions. Without Toby here."

"Toby doesn't seem to like you much anymore, does he?" Jenna asked. Her voice wasn't snarky or taunting. There was a mix of concern laced in her words.

"Yeah . . . I wanted to ask you about the message. Who do you think it was?"

"I think you know, Spencer."

"That person who I think it is?" Spencer couldn't say the words. She feared someone would overhear.

"Does Toby know?"

"No . . . he . . . can't or . . ." Spencer couldn't finish the sentence. Jenna nodded, putting the pieces together.

The door opened, and Spencer jumped. Toby stood in the door and he sent a glare towards Spencer. "Why are you here," he asked, harshly.

Spencer let out a quiet whimper, then she swallowed. "I was asking her questions about how she was feeling."

"She doesn't need you here."

"I . . . I was just leaving. My mom was here and . . . I'm waiting for my medicine to be ready so I um . . . just was going to," Spencer stopped talking when she realized she sounded very foolish. "I'll just go."

Spencer went and opened the door. She was about to walk out before Jenna spoke.

"Spencer why did you help Hanna help me?" she asked.

Toby looked confused at Jenna's comment, not realizing Spencer helped as well.

"Because all those years ago, I made the mistake of not helping you the first time. Even though I wanted to," she said, her voice so small.

No one said anything after that, and Spencer walked out of the room. She closed the door behind her, and she continued to sit in her chair. Jason was still talking to her mother. Burying her face in her hands, she cried, quietly.