Night Calls

Marco had left. Spencer was too scared to sleep, and she was beating herself up for losing the hard drive. She knew Aria or Emily would be up her case for making the mistake. Spencer was also aware that she should have realized a storm doesn't trigger a car alarm. Those little mistakes were mistakes she made so many times as a teenager, and she should have learned from them.

She wanted Toby. She didn't need him to come back and tell her he loves her. No, she just needed him here. Even when they weren't together, she felt safe when he was around. He would always do his best to make sure the people he loved were protected. Those qualities made him a man, but they also made him reckless.

Spencer grabbed her phone, and she called Toby. She needed to hear his voice. A part of her wondered if he would be sleeping. The assumption was that the time was around two in the morning.

The phone rang, then finally there was a pick up.

"Hello?" a female's voice said. Spencer knew Yvonne had answered Toby's phone.

"Is Toby there?" Spencer asked, trying to compose herself. She didn't want to sound like she had been crying. "It's Spencer."

Distantly she heard, "Toby, Spencer wants to talk to you."

"Spencer, is everything okay?" Toby asked, concern in his voice.

Spencer shook her head, but then remembered Toby can't see her. "No."

"What happened?"

"We found this hard drive from when I was in the dollhouse and there was this video of me. Noel had put fake blood on me to make me think I hurt someone."

Toby sighed, remembering all the panic attacks and nightmares over that incident. "I told you, you didn't hurt anyone."

"That's not all that happened."

"Oh boy."

"I was looking at the files, and the power was out."

"That's never a good sign."

"I got up to get something to drink when . . ."

"When?"

Spencer was quiet for a moment.

"Spencer, are you hurt?"

"No. A tree limb crashed the house window. And A.D. broke into the house. They stole the hard drive. I was going to tell Marco everything because I can't deal with this by myself."

"You are calling Detective Furey by this first name?"

"That's a long story," Spencer said. "When he got there, I had called him before the break in, he searched the house. No sign of anyone. And the girls are going to be pissed at me for losing the hard drive. All they have been doing is getting mad at me for messing everything up and . . ." Spencer broke into complete hysteria by this point. She didn't realize she was crying until the tears got in her mouth, and her breathing was all over the place. Toby and her both knew what was happening. She was having an anxiety attack.

"Spence," Toby said, "Everything is going to be okay. The girls aren't going to be mad at you. Just listen to my voice, okay? Deep breathes in and out, just like in college. You're safe, you're alive, you're going to be okay."

Spencer tried her old techniques, but nothing worked. "Toby, nothing is working," she whimpered. Her breaths were short, and she wanted to tear her hair out. She trembled as the anxiety took over her body.

"Spence, everything is going to be okay, okay? You are going to be safe and sound. No one is going to hurt you anymore."

"But A.D. is still out there. What if . . ."