Shadow Play

Dedicated to AmazingWheezyPenguin 

Toby Cavanaugh became a police officer after he had to take the blame for a crime he hadn't committed. He became dedicated to make sure no one would be falsely accused. He would it ironic when he was put on the case for Alison DiLaurentis' murder. A year had past since they found her body, and there was still no lead. Every time there was one, they would turn up dead.

Toby found her former friends odd. They'd been acting odd since her body was found. Toby, of course, hadn't showed up in Rosewood until he became a cop. No one asked about how he was sent to a reform school for burning his garage, and he was curious why. It wasn't until he came back to Rosewood that he discovered someone else had taken the blame.

So when the friend group were taken into the police station, Toby was surprised. None of them felt guilty of the murder.

"Cavanaugh, you have questioning in room 3A," Tanner said.

Toby nodded, making his way to the interrogation room. He opened the door, and he was greeted with a pacing Spencer Hastings.

"SIt, please," Toby said, using his cop voice. Spencer's head whipped towards him, and her mouth gaped in surprise. "Miss Hastings, sit."

Spencer nodded, sitting, "Toby,"

"Officer Cavanaugh," he corrected.

"You're a cop now?"

Toby nodded. Looking at a file. "This isn't your first time being arrested, is it?"

"Those were cleared. The evidence was tainted and my DNA was placed there."

"On Alison's clothes?"

"I didn't tell her. Ask all you want, but I didn't kill her. I would never."

Toby sat, sitting in front of her. "The evidence shows otherwise."

"I'm innocent. Emily is innocent. My friends were passed out the night she died. I was the only one who was awake."

"That doesn't help you at all, you realize that."

Spencer laughed, bitterly. "I was supposed to, but what Alison gave us didn't work on me.'

"She drugged you!" Toby's tone slipped into shock, clearing his throat, he commented again, "I mean, why would she do that? And why didn't it work for you?"

Spencer looked down, shame radiating off her. "I was on drugs."

Silence filled the room. If this had been anyone else, his feeling of sympathy would have been lower. But he knew Spencer to an extend.

"Don't look at me like that," she uttered. "Stop staring at me like I'm fucked."

Toby tore his eyes away from hers. He couldn't deny he thought she became more attractive as she aged. But he was sworn to question her, and he couldn't let his lustful feelings distract him.

"If you don't have anymore questions, can I call my parents. I need a lawyer because, frankly, the cops have been trying to make me look guilty since she went missing."

"So maybe you are," he said. Spencer made a face. "You were on drugs that night."

"Look, Officer, what would I gain if I killed her. I lost all my friends, we stopped talking when she went missing, I became a freak who was way too smart for her own being, my parents stopped talking to me because they were supposed to look after Alison, and the cops wouldn't stop questioning me."