Chapter 16)

Dimitri's knuckles were white as snow as he clutched the steering wheel, nervous to see his family after so long. I reached over and squeezed his arm. His head turned, and I found myself staring deeply into my favorite dark chocolate eyes, swimming with worry and anxiety. 

"Hey, it will be fine. I promise." I said.

"How do you know, they could still think I'm strigoi... I- I can't handle that."

"They don't. Stop allowing yourself to scare yourself with what- ifs."

"But-"

"Stop it. Now."

He returned his attention to the road, unable to refuse a direct order. 

We pulled up to the driveway, and I squeezed Dimitri's hand. 

"Well I don't know what you guys are waiting for, I'm going in." Christian announced.

"Christian! My goodness when are you going to learn some manners? You must learn soon too, I am queen after all, and as my boyfriend you will have duties that require manners!" Lissa chastised Christian.

"Awe Liss it's just Rose and Dimitri. It's not like I need manners around them- especially Rose." 

I glared at him even though I agreed. They both need to act like normal people around us. Its good for them. Important.

"Lissa I agree." I shivered to add emphasis to my digust to the thought of agreeing with him. "You both need to act like regular people with us. We don't mind, and its good for you to feel like you can have milk spurt out of your nose without the whole world gossiping about it."

I turned to Dimitri "You ready" I asked him though I had a feeling I knew what the answer was.

"No, but I don't think I will ever be ready. So lets get this over with."

We piled out of the car, but not before Viktoria met us halfway. She grasped her brother into a tight hug. I saw his stance and expression soften at the present surprise. 

When at last they broke apart,  Dimitri took one good long look at her. Surprise replaced the loose smile "You- your pregnant." 

"Yeah I am." Then Viktoria turned to me.

"Rose I- I'm sorry I was so rude to you before- before you left. I now see that you were just trying to protect me from- from this. I just wish I wasn't so naive to ignore you." 

"Hey don't worry about it, I was trying to protect you." I said while trying to muster up a smile, this just made me so sad. Oh well. I mentally sighed. 

Viktoria gave me a sad smile causing my heart to break a little. 

"The rest of the family is so excited to see you Dimitri, come on." Viktoria changed the subject.

We all walked in. The whole family crowded around him each waiting for his or her turn to hug him. Lissa, Christian, Viktoria, and I waited at the other end of the main room. 

I vaguely heard Viktoria chat Lissa and Christian up. I would have participated in the conversation, but I was to busy staring at Dimitri interacting with his family. I love him so much. The resemblance between him and his family is startling but beautiful. I wonder what our kids would look like ...