Chapter 13: And why do we like to hurt so much?

*Taylor's POV*

I never went home that night. I drove straight to Hayley's house with no inclination to ask her to drive me home or get someone else to pick me up. She needed me, and I needed her. 

We sat on her couch for the rest of the day, and into the wee hours of the night watching tv and enjoying each others' company. We sat on the couch, locked in embrace with one of Hayley's incredibly soft blankets wrapped around us. There was a bowl of half eaten popcorn sitting on one side of me, while Hayley cuddled into my side on the other. After watching our traditional movies, Hayley put on her set of the entire series of Friends. We watched them until we fell asleep. 

I awoke to soft pressure being applied to my lips before something shook my shoulder.

"Tayyyylor, you gotta get up." Hayley sung. 

I rubbed my eyes and stretched. When I opened my eyes, Hayley's face was right in front of mine. I grabbed her and kissed her hard. I could feel her smiling into the kiss, and I couldn't help but follow suit. 

We pulled apart just enough to catch our breath. We kissed again, slowly, before Hayley got off the couch. 

"You want breakfast?" She said as she headed into the kitchen.

"Um, sure" I said, standing up and stretching before following her.

"Whatcha want?" She asked in a high pitch voice turning to face me.

"Pancakes" I said abruptly. The smile that was on her face slid off with the word.

"Um... I don't have pancake mix" She said quietly, a little depressed.

"Let's go out then!" I said, trying to overlook the fact that she did not stock up on pancake mix for instances like this.

*Jeremy's POV*

I awoke on Saturday morning to a pillow being thrown at my face. 

"What the hell was that for Sol?!" I complained to my brother who was standing guiltily with a mug of coffee in his hand, while he leaned up against the doorframe of the bedroom.

He shrugged. "Get some clothes on, we're going out to eat." He said as he walked out of the room.

I got dressed in a pair of jeans and t-shirt before heading downstairs.

"Come on, let's go" Solo said before grabbing his keys and heading out.

*Hayley's POV*

We arrived ten minutes later at Waffle House, one of our favorite places to eat at. We sat down with our food, Taylor with his large order of pancakes, while I had waffles.

 I was enjoying a story Taylor was telling me, about how he walked in on Justin and his girlfriend making out before he actually knew what making out was, when Jeremy and his brother walked in. I scrunched down in my seat, trying not to be seen. Whatever was going on with Taylor and I was not known to Jeremy. I didn't even known what exactly was going on between us. 

 "What's going on?" Taylor asked, his expression curious. 

"Jeremy and Soloman are here." I whispered, nodding my head in the direction of the door.

"Oh." Taylor said.

*Jeremy's POV*

Sol drove to Waffle House. I despised Waffle House. 

"Seriously, shut up Jer" Soloman said once we walked into the 'restaurant'. He was referencing my nonstop complaining the entire ride here. "I don't even get why you hate this place. It's food, you like food, therefore you should like Waffle House." 

I just shook my head and crossed my arms, leaning up against the wall while he ordered his food. 

I looked around the place, noticing it had changed a lot in the past few years since I've stepped foot in it. As I was glancing around, I noticed an afro that looked vaguely familiar. As I continued to look at the hair, the owner turned to face me, making eye contact. Taylor. I walked over to say hi, but he quickly looked away.

"Here, I got you some waffles. Eat them." Sol said, handing me our food as he went to fill our sodas. 

Even though Taylor turned away when I saw him, I still wanted to say hi to him. I walked over towards his booth, and saw a little orange hair peeking up from the other bench in the booth. Taylor looked up sheepishly at me. 

"Hey Tay, what y'all doin' at a shitty Waffle House? Hayles here is a gourmet chef." I said, letting Hayley know I could see her. She slowly sat up in her seat. 

"Hey Jerm." She said, not looking at me. 

I put my food on their table, taking a seat next to Taylor. 

"Y'all go visit Zac?" I asked, hoping that was the reason they were eating breakfast together.

"Yeah, yesterday." Taylor said quietly.

"Then what are y'all doing here today?" I said, pushing them for a response.

"Jeremy...." Hayley said, her eyes starting to water. 

"Don't Jeremy me Hayley. You know what happened the last time you two got close." I said, raising my voice.

"This isn't last time. I'm not that fifteen year-old girl anymore. I'm grown up. I'm not that naive anymore. Don't judge me just because of a mistake I made five years ago." Hayley said standing up. Everyone in the restaurant's eyes were on us now. Hayley stood up and ran out the door. 

"Please Jeremy, she's been through a lot." Taylor said. I just shook my head. I stood up to let him go. He brushed past me and walked out the door. 

I sat back down and started to dig into my waffles. They were oddly satisfying. 

"What was all that about?" Sol asked as he sat down. 

"Hayley and Taylor. They're getting back together." I said plainly. 

Sol's jaw dropped. "Even after, you know..." I just nodded. 

*Hayley's POV*

I couldn't take it. I couldn't take my best friend calling me out for a mistake I made five years ago. He told me back then that he would still love me. Now he's telling me the opposite. I tried so hard to resist the urge to cry, but I couldn't fight off the water works. I ran out of the place, heading straight to my car. As soon as I sat in the driver's seat, I instantly started sheading tears. 

A few minutes into my pity party, there was a knock on the passenger door. I looked up, barely able to see past the water in my eyes. I unlocked the door for Taylor. 

"I-I-I don't get it" I blubbered. 

"He kinda has a point though..." Taylor said quietly. 

His response startled me. "Why do you think that? That was all in the past! We aren't gonna make that same mistake now! We aren't that young anymore." I said outraged.

"You think she was a mistake...?" Taylor said slowly, hurt plain on his face.