Chapter 23: Reaching as I sink down into light

*Taylor's POV*

 "Do you really need all of these bags?" I asked Hayley, who was in the process of taking five suitcases and a duffle bag from her house and dropping them next to Jeremy's truck. 

"Um, yeah. We are experiencing the weather of almost every state in the US and parts of Canada. Don't wanna wear shorts in Michigan, and don't wanna wear long pants in Texas. Duhh." She said as she dropped the last suitcase on the ground. 

"She's got a point dude. But seriously, five suitcases? Where are my bags gonna fit?" Jeremy asked. " I get first dibs on the space in the back," Hayley began to interject Jeremy, "mostly because this is my car. Oh, and whatever doesn't fit in here, gets left on the side of the road." Jeremy finished as he jumped onto the bed of the truck. "York, start passing me bags." 

I did what he asked, and we were finished in no time. All the suitcases fit in the bed, but Hayley's duffle bag wouldn't be able to stay down at high speeds.

"Welp, looks like this is staying back." Jeremy said as he threw the bag on the grass and jumped down.

"Noooo, Jerm pleaseeee?? I'll carry it on my lap." Hayley begged.

"York, what do you think? Should I let her take the bag on tour?" Jeremy asked me.

"Taylor please let me" Hayley said, standing on tip toes next to me. She kissed me on the cheek, then whispered, "Please Taylor?"

"Oh come on! That's so not fair! She's cheating!" Jeremy yelled, before climbing into the driver's side door.

I opened the other door and Hayley climbed in the middle of the bench with her duffle bag on her lap.

While Jeremy was pulling out of Hayley's driveway, my phone rang.

"Oooh who's calling Taylor? Someone famous?" Jeremy asked.

"I have no clue... It's a number I've never seen before." I said before I answered.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi, is this Taylor York?" A woman on the other side of the line asked.

"Speaking."

"I really regret having to say this over the phone. Unfortunately, this morning Jennifer and Matthew were in a serious car accident." She said solemnly. 

I gasped. They were Amy's adopted parents. "Are they ok? Was Amy there?" I rushed out, desperate to know the answers. 

"Amy was indeed with them. Jennifer and Amy were struck the hardest, by a drunk driver who ran a stop light. Both of them sadly, did not survive the crash. Matthew is in critical condition but is expected to make it through."

I started to tear up. "Oh my god, that's horrible! Thank you for letting me know."

Hayley turned to look at me. "What's going on? What happened?" She whispered.

"Ok, thanks." I said to the woman on the phone before I hung up.

"Taylor what happened?" Hayley asked again when she saw the tears streaming down my face.

"Hayley, I'm so sorry" Was the only thing to say that came to mind. 

"Taylor, honey, you did nothing wrong. What happened?" She asked, pulling me close to her. 

I started sobbing. I couldn't bring myself to tell the mother of my child that she was now dead. 

"A-A-Amy a-and J-Jen a-and Ma-Matt we-were hit b-by a dr-drunk dri-driver." I sobbed. 

"They were hit by a drunk driver? Are they ok?" Hayley asked, getting worried.

I shook my head. "N-no." I stuttered, loosing it entirely.