Chapter 18: And where's hope when misery comes crawling?

*Taylor's POV*

 It was days after Hayley and I made love for the first time in five years. It felt just like before, maybe even better.

We fell into the swing of things, just like a regular couple. We went on a few dates, soaking in every minute we possibly could with each other. I fell more in love with her than I thought possible. She made me so happy.

*Zac's POV*

"Come on Zac! I'm gonna leave without you if you don't hurry." Josh called from downstairs. I ran out my room, shoes in hand.

"I don't get why we need to be at band practice before everyone else." I mumbled as I sat on the step, tying my shoe. 

"We have to pick up Taylor on our way." Josh said, putting a sweatshirt on. This September weather was very chilly compared to the hot summer we just experienced. 

"Can't be late for his first band practice." I mumbled, as I followed Josh out the door. 

*Jeremy's POV*

"Hayley, do you want me to pick you up, or do you wanna pick me up?" I asked into my phone. 

"Ugh, pick me up. It'll give me a couple extra minutes to get ready." She called, her phone on speaker so she could continue to get ready.

"Really Hayley?! You've had like two hours to get ready. There's no point to get all fancy when you're gonna get all sweaty." I said, angrily.

Hayley sighed.  "It doesn't matter. Just please pick me up." She huffed, then ended the phone call.

I rushed out the door, a few drops of water falling onto my arms. "Shit," I mumbled, before locking the door.

I got in my truck and backed out of the driveway. I stopped at the 7-eleven that was on the way to Hayley's to get some snacks in case I got hungry at practice. I threw the bag onto the back seat and made my way to Hayley's apartment building.

I'm here

I texted her, not wanting to get out of my truck. The rain was continuously getting steadier. 

*Hayley's POV*

I'm here

My phone dinged with a text message from Jeremy. Shit. I rushed to put on my converses before running out of my apartment. I ran down the stairs two at a time, not wanting to wait for the elevator. 

"Hey" I breathed, as I jumped into Jeremy's truck.

"Wow, that's the quickest you've ever been." Jeremy said with a smile. "Doesn't matter though, we're still going to be late."

I sighed. Josh was going to be pissed.

We arrived at the practice building only a few minutes later thanks to Jeremy's speeding. 

"Where's Josh's car? Zac and him were supposed to pick up Taylor on their way here. I thought they'd be here by now." I said as I looked around the empty parking lot.

"Maybe somebody drove them here?" Jeremy questioned, parking in one of the spots close to the door.

"Perhaps...Maybe they're already inside." I said as I got out of the car.

"Josh?! Zac?! Taylor?!" Jeremy shouted into the building once I unlocked the door. Nobody answered.

*Taylor's POV*

They were late. Nobody came to pick me up for practice. It was so unlike him to be late. I called both Josh and Zac's cells multiple times, but nobody answered.

I was about to call Hayley to see what was going on when Mrs. Farro called me.

"Hello?" I said as I answered the call.

"Taylor? It's Mrs. Farro. Um...Z-zac and J-josh we-were in a c-c-car accident."