Chapter 2.5

Happy Fourth of July to all of my American friends and followers! Stay safe out there. If you drive, try not to be out on the streets late and always be aware of your surroundings.  Celebrate safely and wisely but have fun!

"Subtle," Dean commented as the three Hunters approached the door of the shop where the words 'DIE SCUM' were spray painted across the door window and the wall. There was an inverted triangle with a pawprint in the top corner of the 'M', and Libby cocked her head to the side as she studied it.

"Check that out," Sam said, pointing to the symbol. "Huh." He pulled his phone out of his pocket and aimed the camera towards the symbol, snapping a photo of it. As the trio entered the shop, shivers raced down Libby's spine. Stuffed animals and mounted trophy heads littered the room and the walls, all of the dead animals staring back at them.

"Well, the creep factor just skyrocketed," Dean muttered. Libby giggled quietly, catching the slight smile from Dean's lips out of the corner of her eye. The sheriff held up his hands, approaching the Hunters.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Sam gave him a curt nod, he, Dean, and Libby pulling out their badges and flashing them to the sheriff.

"How are you? Agents Michaels, Deville, and Wilson," Sam told him. The sheriff nodded, resting his hands on his hips as he glanced over his shoulder.

"The body's already been to the morgue." He nodded towards the man at the counter. "Just wrapping it up with Dave Stephens. He's the one who discovered the body. Such a shame. I used to go hunting with Max. He was a real good egg," the sheriff told them softly so that Dave wouldn't here. Sam lowered his head in sympathy and Dean nodded twice.

"Sorry for your loss."

"Thanks."

"You mind showing our partner around? Agent Wilson and I just got a couple questions for Mr. Stephens," Dean requested. The sheriff nodded and looked to Sam.

"Okay. Come on." Libby watched as Sam followed him into the next room, Libby and Dean approaching Dave Stephens who was resting his arms on the chash register.

"Dave Stephens?" Dean asked. He averted his gaze from the wall to Libby and Dean, nodding.

"Yeah." Libby sent him a sincere smile, taking over from there.

"I just have a couple questions for you if that's all right," she told him sweetly. He nodded and stepped forward.

"I'll tell you whatever you need to know. Max was a... a real pal," Dave replied. Libby nodded and Dean raised his eyebrows.

"Hunting buddy?" Dave eyed him, impressed that he figured it out so easily. But only one glance around the shop told you that they were hunting buddies. It really didn't take that much to figure it out.

"Mm. Yeah." Dean shrugged, smiling proudly.

"Eh, lucky guess. So, uh, about what time did you discover the body?"

"About 9 a.m. – my usual pickup time. I come in every Wednesday and Sundays, uh, to collect the entrails," Dave explained. Libby furrowed her eyebrows.

"The what?"

"The animal organs," he clarified. Libby and Dean nodded, Libby's mouth forming an 'O' shape. Libby wasn't at all fazed by it. She had hunted as a kid in order to get food. But Dean on the other hand seemed a bit grossed out, trying his best not to show it. "After Max would, uh, dig them out and work his magic." Dean nodded, he and Libby glancing over at Sam who held up a Game of Thrones squirrel, which wore a pink dress with a large bow, mocking its facial expression. "He, uh – he was a real artist, you know?" Dean gave Sam a 'what the hell' look and Libby started to giggle, but quickly covered it up with a cough. "Strange thing is, though, uh, bins were empty this morning," Dave continued, Libby and Dean tuning back into his explanation.