Chapter 11.5

Libby stumbled on her landing, falling on her knees in the soft grass. She looked up to see Dean front behind, staring at a large fire. She recognized the set up. It was a Hunter's funeral.

"Dean?" she whispered, pushing herself off of the ground. She slowly approached him, her breath hitching in her throat. "Is that—"

"Kevin?" he finished. She nodded. "Yeah." Dean wiped a stray tear. Libby went to place a hand on his shoulder when he flinched away and took a step back. She frowned at him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," she whispered. Dean shook his head.

"You didn't hurt me, Libby. I just..." He trailed off, not knowing how to word it. She stared at him in confusion. Libby had never been close with Kevin Tran, but she was still affected by his death. Dean sucked in a sharp breath.

"I should have known that wasn't you, Libby. The way she was dressed and the way she walked. You don't wear white and you rarely wear red. I should have known. She—" Dean cut himself off abruptly when he saw the look on Libby's face.  He knew that if she found out then she'd blame herself. It'd tear her apart on the inside and they couldn't have that. Not now. Dean needed as much help from her as he could to find Sam and kill Gadreel.

"'She' who?" Libby questioned. When Dean didn't reply she raised an eyebrow as if to say that she was waiting for an answer. She snapped a finger in his face, snapping him out of his daze. Dean swiped his tongue across his bottom lip and gulped. He didn't know what lie to come up with.

"Some angel that was with Gadreel. Told me that she was you." He shrugged. "I should've known sooner since you can't leave that body."  Libby raised both her eyebrows this time questioningly. She knows that she had told both Sam and Dean before that she couldn't leave that body.

"Dean, why would I—"

"I don't know, okay?" he snapped. Libby jumped slightly. "Sorry. I'm sorry. I just—"   He ran a hand through his hair, messing it up even more. A couple more tears slipped down his cheeks and Libby's heart tugged at the sight.  She stepped forward and pulled him into a hug, rubbing circles into his back when he started to sob.  She had seen Dean let a few tears loose over time, but she had never seen him break down like this. She had a feeling that he didn't show this side often.

"Dean, it's not your fault," she whispered. "Angels are good at manipulation. It's what they do."  He shook his head, burying himself in the crook of her neck.

"This is you, Libby. I should have been able to tell the difference between you and some demonic angel," he managed to say between sobs.  She didn't question the description of the angel. She was too busy wondering who could've played her so well that they fooled Dean Winchester into thinking it was her.

"It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong," she muttered. Libby let out a sigh, resting her head on his shoulder. "We'll find Sam. I promise."

And we'll kill Gadreel the first chance we get, she thought angrily. He had double-crossed her by joining Metatron and killing Kevin Tran. She was going to get her revenge. It didn't matter that he warned her of her banishment; this was something that she could never forgive.

~*~

When Libby and Dean arrived back at the Bunker it was dawn and they were both tired.

Libby struggled to get back to Lebanon, Kansas without alerting any other angels of her status. Now that Malachi knew that she was back she had to be careful. If they were looking for Cas then they'd also be looking for her.

Libby tossed her leather jacket onto the swivel chair sitting in front of her desk and collapsed on her bed, letting her eyes close. She felt the bed dip besides her and jumped, only breathing a sigh of relief when she saw it was Dean.