Chapter 8.5

"I tried to get in to save her, but the damn door wouldn't open." The three Hunters and Sonny watched as the van drove off with Ruth's body. Libby frowned. They had lost another innocent life and they didn't know by who or why. That was one more person Elizabeth had failed to protect.

"Locked?" Sam asked. Sonny shook his head.

"There's no locks on the farm." Dean sighed, looking to Sam and Libby.

"That means our little field trip to the cemetery was a bust." Sonny gave him a weird glance but shook it off, knowing not to question it. Dean averted his attention back to Sonny. "Sonny, is there anything else weird you can remember?"

"What, 'cause we're not chest-deep in weird already, guys?" Libby scoffed, nodding in agreement.

"I know, I know. I mean anything – really." Sonny thought about it for a moment before nodding, his arms still crossed over his chest.

"There was one thing. Ruth always had her rosary beads with her, but now I can't find them anywhere."

"Alright. Um, let's start with the victims, okay? I mean, both lived in the house. They both, uh, worked closely with the boys," Libby started to list off. Dean glanced off to the side where some of the boys stood at the side of the house.

"Alright, why don't I go have a chat with the rug rats, see what's up?" Dean announced, walking off. Libby ran after him, leaving Sam with Sonny to go over the records of the victims. "I thought you would've gone with Sam." Libby furrowed her eyebrows.

"And why's that?" Dean shrugged.

"You two seem to talk now." Libby nodded. "Things getting better?"

"Yeah, I suppose." The two fell silent, stopping when they saw two of the boys cornering little Timmy, his action figure clutched to his chest. It was the boy Libby had seen in the window when they first arrived.

"Come on, whatcha gonna do about it? You gonna cry?" one of the boys taunted. The smaller one shoved Timmy against the side of the porch.

"Timmy, you're such a little weirdo." Dean and Libby picked up their pace, rushing towards them. Libby got there first, pulling the kid away from Timmy.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey! Hey!" Libby yelled, grabbing the kid "What are you doing? Come here. Huh?" When the bigger and older boy started to walk towards Libby Dean stepped in front of him.

"Touch her and she'll be the one to kick your ass," he warned. Libby tugged the kid away from Timmy.

"Nothing," he told her, referring to her question as she dragged him towards Dean. Dean looked towards Timmy who now stood up straight.

"Timmy, what's going on?" Dean questioned. Timmy stayed silent and one of the kids huffed in annoyance. Libby sent him a sharp glare before walking back towards Timmy smiling down at him. But he just watched Dean as he questioned the boys.

"Alright, you two. Where were you this morning when Ruth had her accident?"

"Unless you're a cop, we don't need to tell you anything," the bigger boy spat. Dean raised his eyebrows, obviously not happy that the kid was testing him. Libby crouched down in front of Timmy and brushed some dirt off of his clothes.

"Oh, okay. Well ..." Dean pulled his FBI badge out of his pocket, shoving it in the kids' faces. "... How about that? And yeah, Libby's FBI, too, before you ask." Timmy gave Libby a small, forced smile.

"Are you okay?" she asked softly, looking him straight in the eyes. He nodded mutely. "I can tell you met Dean. He's great, yeah?" Timmy nodded again. "I'm Libby, Dean's friend." She held her hand out for him to shake. Remembering what Dean told him about being a man, Timmy shook her hand firmly and looked her dead in the eye. Libby chuckled quietly. "Dean teach you that?"