Chapter 13. Ex Factor.

Aaron Turner

"Mama, why is uncle Ron on the couch? He's in my spot" I heard my nephew Kieran question his mother as she sat down a sandwich and a bag of chips in front of me. I glanced over at my nephew who was sipping on a capri sun and staring at me like I didn't belong.

"Because he got hurt. Be nice and share your spot for today" Ajani responded as she walked away. Kieran sat on the coffee table and stared at me as he continued to sip on his juice.

I ignored him and bit into my sandwich while looking through my phone. It wasn't until he tapped my knee with his foot a few times to get my attention that I looked back at him.

"What? Why don't you go bother Knox or something, just let me relax" I groaned. He finished his juice before sitting it to the side as he frowned.

"Knox is at his friends house. I couldn't go" he said sadly as he continued to kick his leg back and forth.

"Why not? Were you bad or something?" I questioned and he nodded his head before he began to rub at his eyes like he wanted to cry.

"He left me alone" Kieran sniffled. I glanced over at my niece who was wearing a pair of sun glasses and carrying one of her mother's old purses pretending like she was going to work as she left out of the living room.

"Why don't you play with your lil sister or go outside with your friends. Knox will be back" I remind. Kieran looked over at Anari and quickly shook his head no like that was such a horrible idea.

"She's bossy and he's taking forever to come back" Kieran cried. I nodded sympathetically knowing what that felt like.

"I use to get really sad when Moses was gone. He always took forever to come back, but what made me feel better is the fact that we have a connection. You and Knox have a connection too, you're brothers so even though sometimes he might go places you can't that doesn't mean he's intentionally leaving you out. Maybe if you act better next time, you can go with him and play with him and his friends" I explained as Kieran stopped crying and looked down at his lap.

"I guess I can be good" he said with a dramatic sigh as Kaine walked passed and stopped in the living room. He looked at Kieran and then at me probably wondering why his son's face was red.

"Daddy can I go?" He questioned getting up. Kaine nodded and motioned for him to follow as he continued walking without acknowledging me. Part of me wanted him to just yell already and say I told you so but him giving me the silent treatment was becoming unbearable.

"I took forever to come back?" A voice from behind me said. I slowly leaned my head back coming face to face with Moses who hovered over me with a goofy smile.

"Don't flatter yourself, I was just having a moment with my nephew. I guess I could've used a better example" I groaned as I placed my hand over the bandage covering where I'd been shot.

Moses walked around the couch before sliding into the spot next to me and placing his arm on the back of the couch while he continued to smile goofily like he had news. I didn't question him about it right away because I was half expecting him to just say something, but he didn't.

"I'm a be out of your way soon. I saw a place earlier that I liked and it's real low key, nobody is gonna know where I stay at" Moses said and all my excitement left.