Chapter 28. In Too Deep

Moses McKinley

-

Angelo sat on top of his Mercedes with his hands folded and looked into outer space. He didn't acknowledge me until I slammed my car door shut to get his attention.

"It's 5 in the morning. What are we doing out here?" I questioned walking towards him.

"With everything going on you still showed up. How you know this wasn't a set up?" Angelo asked and I shrugged.

"I trust you. You've had my back and showed nothing but loyalty since I first came to New York" I stated and he smiled.

"I did, didn't I?" He asked. I looked around the street seeing it was just him and no security.

"Lo why are you out here lacking? Almost like you wanna get caught" I said and he smacked his teeth and hopped off of his car.

"My wife wants to leave me" He said ignoring what I said and I continued to look around.

"You cheat on her or something?" I asked knowing they had just got married, it had to of been that.

"She wants me to leave the game and move to an island with her and our daughter. She pregnant again and she wants me to be around, I guess she feel like I'm gonna die doing this. When I told her I wasn't leaving she said she was done" he explained.

I bit my bottom lip and stared at my old friend seeing how conflicted he seemed.

"Everyone left the game. What did you stay around for? It can't be just the money because you got plenty of that" I said and he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I love it. But I love my family more" Angelo said as he stared at me for awhile.

I knew where this was going and all I could do was laugh and avoid his gaze.

"Moses you're the only one I trust. If I'm going to leave the game than it has to be on my terms. Either you take it or I'm not leaving" He said stubbornly.

"Angelo I appreciate you for showing love and being there for me and getting me out of shit. But you see how stuff is now, I'm not ready for all that" I tried to explain but I could tell he wasn't trying to hear that.

"Well I can't do this anymore. You can't hide behind me anymore once I'm gone. Stop being a pussy, you're an evil genius and you're good at strategy. I don't know why you acting so afraid all of a sudden" he accused.

"I don't want to die. My daughter needs me, Aaron needs me, before I didn't give a fuck about anything. The first time we met, you held me at gunpoint and threatened me and I said I didn't care whether I lived or died. I changed my mind - I do care" I said bluntly.

He gritted his teeth and nodded his head before he took a step back.

Silence consumed us in the empty street and I could tell a lot was weighing on him. He looked like he hadn't slept in days, I took a deep breath and nodded.

"I'll take it. I'll handle it - go live your life" I said stopping the self doubt I had in my head.

"If your heart isn't in it don't take on this burden" He said to make sure I was sure.