Chapter 31. Hard Truth

Amaru Jones

-

I kept my head hung low, it's the only thing I could do while I occupied the backseat. All around me I could hear guns clicking as we prepared for war in an effort to get back Saint and Aaron.

Moses' daughters safety would be in my hands for the time being. It'd be my task to make sure she was safe and that was what I was afraid would happen.

I briefly glanced at my boyfriend, he had no idea what was about to happen. All I could do was sigh lightly and shake my head at how naive he was.

I'd protected Josh from a lot of stuff, we robbed drug dealers but things had never escalated to how far it could've gone.

Dealing with Alex in my youth I'd heard stories and seen first hand and one thing I knew for sure was that this wasn't for me.

Josh just hadn't figured that out yet for himself. The thought of all of this made me want to vomit.

Alex was dead, Aaron might be dead and I was out here alone trying to be something that I was not.

"You gonna frown the whole time? We'll be in and out - it's simple" Josh tried to assure me as he placed his arm around my neck and kissed my cheek with a sloppy kiss.

I shut my eyes tight and forced a weak smile as I gave a simple head nod.

"You're right" I replied hoarsely as he nuzzled against me a little and then sat back in his seat.

His grip on me loosened and I slowly glanced over at Kaine who held a track phone to his ear and spoke in a very low tone.

Sounded like he was preparing a giant cleanup and was trying to get everything in order.

As he ended the call he turned his head slightly and made eye contact with me for awhile. I assumed he'd speak but he didn't, he just sat back in his seat and continued to stare.

"What?" I questioned growing slightly uncomfortable and Angelo who was driving adjusted the rear view mirror to get a better look of the back.

"The next time I look at you, you probably gonna be dead" He said as he shook his head.

"Kaine!" Malik scolded but he only smiled at his older brother in return.

"You know how many people we seen die? I swore I wouldn't come back for none of this shit and here I am" he said as he shook his head like he was embarrassed.

"You left the game when you were on top. All of this could've been avoided you know that right? You had the game on lock" Josh said and Kaine glanced over at him.

"I couldn't of avoided shit. Aaron made his choice following behind Moses' dumb ass. Not everybody wanna live they life getting into shootouts and watching they people die. I chose my kids over this shit" Kaine scolded.

Moses who sat near Josh remained silent and got this real crazy look in his eye.

"You know who we should've brought?" Angelo questioned cutting in and changing the subject.