Chapter 18. Through It All.

Aaron Turner

The first thing I did once I got back to New York was go and see my true best friend. The person I'd been treating like shit lately and avoiding even though he didn't deserve it when the only thing he really wanted was to spend time with me.

"Uncle Ron I got this for you. Hurry and open it" Knox rushed as he smiled eagerly. I eyed the gift bag he placed on top of the table in front of his hot chocolate as he practically stood in his chair almost wanting to open his gift for me.

"You didn't have to get me anything, really. Just your presence is enough" I stated as he sat down in his chair with a plop and clasped his hands together while kicking his legs back and forth enthusiastically.

After removing the decorative stuffing inside the first thing I removed was a sketchbook that looked like it'd been through hell and back.

"I did it myself!" Knox said as he reached over and opened the book to the first page. I stared at the drawing of a superhero he'd done that became familiar.

"What is this? Did you read my comic?" I questioned while flipping through the pages seeing everything come together more and more, it was good for someone to be as young as he was.

"Yes, my dad helped me with some but it's mine. You never finished and I got tired of waiting for what comes next" Knox responded before he sipped on his drink.

I sat the book down and reached into the bag again before pulling out a few comic books  that were neatly placed in sleeves. I stared at everything before moving the bag to the floor so I could see my nephew better.

"Thank you, I can tell you took your time and thought this out. It's the best stuff I've received for my birthday" I admit and he smiled again causing his eyes to squint.

"My friends like your comic too. They think it's cool" Knox responded as he turned to his muffin and bit into it.

"Your friends? You let them read it too?" I questioned and he nodded his head as he chewed the food in his mouth. I tried to hold back my smile as I looked over the comics he'd brought me.

I was still kinda into this stuff but it was something I read or watched in private. When I was a teen I had a bright idea that I'd be making comics instead of going to school, but that never happened and now here I was going to school to do something I probably won't even enjoy in five years.

The door to the coffee shop jingled and I looked up at my brother Kaine who entered with my other nephew Kieran who was bundled up to keep warm. Kaine let go of Kieran's hand and he came running over to the table to hug me and steal my cookie from off the table.

"You looked like you turned up last weekend" my brother acknowledged as I stood up and hugged him. Kaine stood in place growing completely still as I waited for him to hug me back and he eventually gave my back a pat like I was a dog.

"You know I don't like to be hugged" He whispered in an irritated tone. I smirked and sat down before helping Kieran into his seat.

"Knox was just showing me his comic that you helped him with. I really appreciate it" I tell Kaine, he glanced at Knox who grew bashful around him.

"He worked on it for a long time, I'm really proud of him" Kaine said and Knox placed his head down to hide the fact that his face was growing red.