Chapter 18: Walking Away From Life

Chapter 18

Haley’s POV:

“Oh honey. There you are! I was so worried.” My mom said as she hugged as me as I walked through the front door.

It was eight thirty, I probably should have called and told her I wouldn’t be coming home until later, but I didn’t.

“Sorry mom. I just needed some time to myself.” I explained, avoiding eye contact with her.

“It’s okay, but when you want talk about Kayla, I will be right here okay?” My mom gives me a halfhearted smile. I try to return it, but I didn’t want to talk about talking about Kayla. I never wanted to talk about it.

“I wanted to tell you that I arranged a meeting with a therapist, on Monday.” She continued. I take a breath. I did not want to see some therapist, who thinks that she can solve all my problems. I told my mom yesterday that I did not want to go the therapist. But I decide not to argue with her. I just nod weakly and walk up to my room.

I snaked over to my desk and opened up my laptop. At least when I watched Kayla’s videos, I could trick my mind to thinking that she was still alive.

I finished watching Allison and Taylor’s video at 6:00 in the morning. I haven’t slept in days. I just keep watching these videos. I neglect all my homework, my so called friends, family, and the world.

Next was Jake’s video. I already knew what he did. Kayla had told me. But it was different when she was talking through a computer. And some of things, like Eric Marshall, I did not know.

I still can’t believe she didn’t tell me about that. I was so stupid.

It’s a good thing she didn’t tell everyone about what that man did to me. I was shaking through that entire video, I hated being there, and I didn’t want relive it.

I sigh. I will never be able to move on from this. From Kayla. It was like losing my other half. And knowing that I could have stopped it, multiple times, killed me.

FLASHBACK

“K-kayla?”  I stuttered at the sight. I had walked into Kayla’s room. A was rope hanging from her closet, and she was standing up on a chair tightening the top. I stop dead in my tracks.

I knew she was doing.

Kayla looked so scared. She was scared that I found her. She was afraid of what I might do next. No one was home in her house, and I didn’t knock, I just let myself in. We were that close.

I raced to Kayla’s side.

“Kayla. Please. I won’t let you do this.” My voice my shaky. I knew I couldn’t take losing her. I closed my eyes. My whole body was shaking. Kayla slowly got off her chair, and I watched her every move, then she sank down into the corner of her room and cried.