forty.

"Daytona's phone number," Parker holds it out for both her and Nathan to see. He had been in the hospital for three days and Parker had been there religiously making sure he was okay at the request of Haley.

"Wow," Nathan says, "Why are we looking at it like this?"

"Because I got a girl's phone number without doing anything!" Parker exclaims as she sits up on his hospital bed, "That's the type of thing you do."

Nathan laughs and shakes his head, "If you knew what Daytona looked like when we were younger you would not be as excited."

"The past is in the past," Parker says, "Daytona is smoking hot now and you didn't see the look Brooke gave me when I hugged her. She was totally jealous!"

Parker hits Nathan on the chest, "Get better buddy. I got plans for you." Nathan winces and Parker apologizes profusely, "Sorry!"

"It's fine," Nathan laughs and shakes his head before glancing at Parker, a serious expression on his face, "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot," Parker tells him.

"Do you think things would have been different? If we listened to parents and dated each other? Instead of Brooke and Haley?" Nathan asks. Parker wonders where his line of thought is coming from because there has never been a universe when Nathan Scott would want her.

"Well it would have been different, but a bad kind of different," Parker tells him, "Like you would still be asshole Nathan and I would have been boring old Parker. We learned things from Haley and Brooke and even though they hurt us, we're better because of it."

Nathan nods his head, "I guess you're right."

Parker lays back down beside Nathan, "Where'd that thought come from?"

He sighs as he looks down at Parker, "I don't know. I was just thinking."

"Well stop," Parker tells him, "Your thoughts are dangerous."

Nathan laughs and rolls his eyes. There's a knock at the door as Dan enters the room. Parker gets up from the bed immediately, careful not to hurt Nathan or mess up his wires.

"What do you want?" Nathan asked as he looked at his father.

"To talk," Dan said, his eyes drifting to Parker, "Alone."

"I'll see you later Nathan," Parker told him with a smile. He returned the gesture and Parker headed toward the door, expecting Dan to close as she left, but instead, he followed her out into the hallway.

"What is your relationship with my son?" Dan asked her. Parker's eyes grew wide at the question.

"We're just friends," she told him.

"That's a pity," Dan says with a sigh, "Nathan needs a fine and stable young lady like you in his life."

"Nathan is married," Parker says, "He has Haley."

Dan smiles smugly, "Not for much longer."

With those words as his parting words, Dan opens the door to Nathan's room and heads inside, leaving Parker with a bad taste in her mouth.

When she gets home, Brooke's car is the only one in the driveway. She sighs as she heads inside. They hadn't talked since that night in the hospital. Parker was actively avoiding Brooke and it seemed as though Brooke was avoiding her as well.

As she was heading to her room, Parker saw as Brooke walked out of her room and stopped. The two stared at each other before Brooke spoke up first.