fifty-eight

Parker loved weddings. Granted, she didn't get to go to many, but she loved what they stood for. It was a symbol of everlasting love and if there was one thing that Parker hoped for, it was a love that lasted.

"Maid of Honor has arrived," Parker said as she entered the venue to see a frantic Brooke moving around. Her smile disappears as she makes her way over to the cheerleader, "Hey is everything okay?"

"No," Brooke says, running a hand through her hair, "I'm – I'm late – to get ready and I'm worried about Haley's dress and there's Lucas."

Parker smiles at her, resting a hand on her shoulder, "Everything is going to be okay. I'll check up on Haley so you can get ready and don't worry about Lucas. Or Peyton."

Brooke nods, "Okay."

"Alright," Parker says clasping her hands together, "I'll go check on Haley."

"Thanks, Parker," Brooke said with a smile, but it didn't exactly meet her eyes.

Parker headed over to the tent where Haley was getting ready and let out a loud gasp as she saw her best friend in her dress. Haley heard her and turned, a smile on her face.

"Well, how do I look?"

"Like royalty," Parker told her. They had come a long way from girls that used to run around Tree Hill. Haley was about to be married and it was hard to believe that their lives were progressing so fast.

"We're a long way from the playground, huh?" Haley asked and Parker nodded with a laugh.

"Yes, we are," Parker agreed, "So are your parents coming?"

Haley shook her head, "They said they'd already attended one wedding, they didn't need to come to another. Especially since I'm marrying the same person."

Parker laughed, that sounded exactly like Haley's parents, "Well I'm your family for today, so anything you need, I'll do."

Haley smiled at her, "Thank you, Parker. And thank you for being my Maid of Honor."

"Of course," Parker said, "But uh do you need me to give a speech?"

Haley chuckled, "That's usually what happens at weddings."

Parker laughs awkwardly, scratching at the back of her neck and Haley frowns immediately, "You didn't write a speech, did you?"

"Please don't be mad at me! I was really focused on writing the script for the play and a speech sort of slipped my mind. Also, did you know I was shot?"

"You do not get to play that card right now! It is my wedding day!" Haley yells, pointing a finger in Parker's face. Their conversation is interrupted as Brooke enters the tent, her dress is on and her hair is done. She looks a lot more relaxed than when Parker first saw her.

"What's going on back here?" Brooke asked, walking over to join the two of them.

"I'm confessing my undying love for Haley but she insists on marrying Nathan," Parker jokes, but neither Haley or Brooke finds it funny, so she hangs her head and tells Brooke the truth, "I forgot my Maid of Honor speech."

Brooke laughs, "Oh that is rich."

"Shut up," Parker tells her, "We already know you'd be a much better Maid of Honor than me."

Brooke sighs, "I thought I would feel satisfied hearing you say those words, but instead I'm a little upset."

"We have like thirty minutes till the ceremony begins," Haley says, "Can't you whip something up?"