fifty-six

It was the first game since Keith's death and emotions were high. The boys had new black jerseys to honor Keith. Parker wasn't cheering tonight, her shoulder still messed up from the shooting, so she volunteered to take pictures for the game, which made life easier since she had no idea what was going on with Brooke or Rachel.

Just as the game was about to tip-off, Lucas rushed off the floor and headed back to the locker room. Parker watched as Whitey went over to the referee and to forfeit the game. Both teams walked back to the locker room and Parker sighed.

"Well that's disappointing," Rachel said as she took a seat on the bleachers beside her.

"Yeah," Parker said, "I really missed taking pictures."

"Well, you can always take pictures of me," Rachel suggested, and Parker laughed.

"Maybe some other time," Rachel pouted but nodded.

"Then let me walk you to your car," Rachel offered, and Parker didn't see the harm in accepting. She grabbed her bag and stood from the bleachers, heading toward the gym exit with Rachel beside her.

"Hey Photographer Girl," Parker heard Brooke call out from behind her. Her heart sped in her chest with anxiety and pleasure at the nickname she hadn't heard in so long. She turned to Brooke and smiled, "What are you doing for the rest of the evening?"

Parker could hear Rachel's scoff from beside her, but she ignored it, "I was just gonna go home and catch up on some homework."

"Boring," Brooke told her, "Why don't you come hang out with me and Peyton."

"Oh thanks but-"

"She's busy," Rachel answered, locking arms with Parker.

"I don't remember asking you bimbo," Brooke said placing her hands on her hips.

Rachel smiles, "Aww are you running out of insults?"

Brooke opens her mouth and closes it and instead smiles at Parker, "Another time then?"

"Yeah," Parker says, surprised at how easily Brooke backed down.

Rachel and Parker head out of the gym and toward the parking lot. Rachel stops in her tracks as they passed by the board filled with student club ads. Parker looks at Rachel and the horrified expression on her face, and then the board.

It didn't take her long to realize that a poster of a younger Rachel had been stapled onto the board. Besides the hair color, Rachel looked like an entirely different person.

"Rachel," Parker said softly, "Are you okay?"

"No," Rachel said, "I um – sorry I just really want to go home."

"Oh okay," Parker said, "Do you want me to come with you?"

Rachel shakes her head as she snatches down the flyer, "Thanks, but I just want to be alone right now."

"Okay," Parker says, "Call me if you need anything."

"I will," Rachel forces a smile before heading off toward her car. Parker clenches her jaw as she rips the poster down and heads back into the gym where Brooke was standing. When she sees Parker, she grins.

"Change your mind about tonight?"

"Look I know Rachel has messed with you, but I think you took it too far," Parker tells her, and Brooke's smile disappears.

"Seriously? You're on her side?" Brooke scoffs, "Parker, she's the reason you got shot."

"No, the only person responsible for that is me," Parker says, "How many of these flyers did you post?"