17

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
17 Published 03.11.2020

•••

ROSEANNE

"Jack! Jack!"I exclaimed into the phone. "Come back!"

"Really, Rose?" I hear his deep voice and I grin.

Wait a second. 

Did he just?

"OH MY GOD!" I yell.

"What? What's wrong?" He asks immediately after I yell, panic evident in his voice.

"Umm, nothing. You just caught me off-guard."

My heart almost burst out of my chest. I really thought he knew my name. But I felt relieved that he didn't.

I feared that he would be like them if he knew who I was.

Not that I was anyone important. Because I wasn't, the students at my school made sure of that. But perhaps he would be disappointed in what I looked like. And if he was, I don't think I could handle the disappointment in his eyes when he found out what I looked like.

I could handle it from everyone else at school. But not from him, it would be like a punch in the gut. It was better to stay hidden.     

"Alright, I hope so." His sigh brings me back from my thoughts. "So, titanic huh?" He continues causing me to smile cheekily, making me forget about my thoughts momentarily. 

"Yep, paint me like your french girl," I say and he bursts out laughing.

"Goodness, princess. You're something else." He says after he stops laughing. "So why titanic, huh?" 

"I'm working on a pride and prejudice essay and I suddenly thought of Titanic. I saw the chance and I went for it."

"Of course you would." He tells me.

Aww, he's already getting used to me.

"You know, I didn't tell you this yesterday, but with your British accent, I hear hints of another accent." I tell him.

It's true, I noticed it while we were talking on the phone yesterday. When I was too preoccupied with fawning over his accent than his words, I noticed that there were parts that his British accent sounded different. But of course, I wasn't going to tell him that I was fawning over his accent. That was crucial information that he did not need to know.

"Aaa, I see you noticed that. Well, princess, that is because I'm also Italian. My mother is Italian so I have lived in Italy for a while, therefore, I have an Italian accent. It's funny because I can control the accent most of the time, like I can change between accents if I want to. But sometimes, my British accents slips out when I'm speaking Italian, and when I'm speaking with my British accent, my Italian accent slips out. My friends and family like to point it out when I don't realise it is happening.  So yeah, I can control it at times, but not always." He explains and I find myself listening intently. 

"Oooh, I found it cute, I like it. So are you telling me that after we get married and we have kids, our kids will learn your accent?" I jokingly ask.

The stranger inhales and chuckles deeply, and while he does it, I find myself closing my eyes in the comfort of his voice. 

"Princess, the only way that is going to happen, is in your dreams." He breathes into the phone.

"Oh, it already happened." I sigh dramatically.

"Oh god." 

"So you're Italian, were you born there?" I ask him, but then I remember something. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, stranger danger is a thing after all."