47

Copyright © MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
47 Published 04.17.2020

•••

JAMES

With my eyes shut I bury my face into my hands.

All this time we were so close

So damn close.

"James!" I hear someone yell my name and I raise my head into the direction of the voice.

A few meters away I catch sight of Nathan jogging my way. His pace decreasing as he nears the benches.

Did he follow me?

"James." He pants as he stops in front of me.

"Hi, mate." Is all I say before looking down to the phone resting on my lap.

How was I supposed to face him now?

"We need to talk." I hear him say and I feel my heart drop.

There it was.

The one thing I was afraid of.

"I know," I say quietly.

We did need to talk.

Nathan groans before sitting next to me.

He lets out a breath before speaking. "Are you mad?"

Taking a deep breath, I run a hand through my hair in frustration. "I'm not."

It was the truth.

There is nothing for me to be mad about.

But I feared that it would be the other way around.

I wasn't sure how Nathan felt about me talking to his sister. I wish I knew.

But I couldn't decipher his emotions right now.

He seemed puzzled as well.

Please don't ask me to forget about her. I mentally beg.

"I found out three days ago." He suddenly says and I freeze. "You two were talking on the phone and I was just checking up on her after training. I didn't know who was on the other side of the phone considering that she doesn't talk to many people." His voice turns quiet at the end and I turn to him with a frown.

What did he mean by that?

"It was when I was closing the door that I heard your name." He turns his attention to the front but I remain looking at him. He seemed stressed, the dark circles under his eyes served as proof. "I knew that you were talking to a girl named Rose, but it was too much of a coincidence for her to be talking to a guy named, James. That's when I knew." Nathan turns to me. "You guys were talking to each other."

Biting my lip, I take a moment to process his words.

Three days ago Nathan started acting differently.

It was because of that. Because he knew.

"Is that why you have been acting strange?"

"Yeah," He chuckles, but there was no humour in it. "I didn't mean to act strange around the guys, you especially. I just didn't know what to do."

Nodding my head, I bring my palms together and place my chin on the tip.

So many things were running through my mind.