Childhood Dreams

"When I grow up, I wanna be like All Might," little Izuku Midoriya squealed, pumping her little fist into the air.

It was circle-time at their daycare, and they were going around telling something about themselves, a friendly exercise

It was circle-time at their daycare, and they were going around telling something about themselves, a friendly exercise. Many children cheered and nodded their heads in agreement; who wouldn't want to be All Might? The caretakers merely smiled and laughed; the children were so adorable sometimes.

This was also the day Katsuki Bakugo received his Quirk.

"Whoa!" one child breathed, watching the little sparks fly from Bakugo's hands.

"That's so cool!" Izuku squeaked, tackling her friend with a hug. "You're so lucky, Kacchan!"

"That's going to grow up to be a flashy Quirk!" one caretaker remarked.

"An amazing talent for a future hero!" another one grinned.

A few weeks later, nearly everyone received a Quirk.

They varied, of course, but each one was special to the holder.

But one child was left out.

And soon everyone noticed.

"Now, Charanel," a caretaker scolded a child, "don't be rude to Midoriya. She'll get her Quirk soon! You shouldn't be mean!"

But as time went on, people realized that this was not the case.

The doctors said so.

The children said so.

And soon, everyone said so.

Izuku Midoriya was Quirkless.

"You're such a Deku!" Katsuki would always sneer as they were growing up.

Even Bakugo had turned his back on the girl.

Bakugo readily gained new friends, and they all pushed around the unfortunate girl. She always ran after them, trying to catch up. But now, she was ignored. She barely had any friends, and teachers and caretakers just wouldn't cut it.

Inko Midoriya gently knocked on her little girl's room one night, seeing a light from beneath the doorway. Izuku should have been in bed by now. She opened the door quietly, and saw Izuku watching her favorite All Might Video in her big chair.

Izuku slowly wheeled around to face her mother.

One hand clenched her night clothes tightly, and another shakily pointed at the screen.

At the face of her hero.

"C-Can....Can I....be.....a hero....t-too, M-Momma?" she breathed, an eerie smiled stuck on her face.

This smile was fighting to stay present, fighting to stay positive, fighting for anything.

But she was just a little girl.