chapter 32

When jungkook opens his eyes, the first thing he sees is taehyung's hand still wrapped securely around his own. He's sitting on the floor with a book in his free hand, a terribly cheesy romance novel jungkook's had on his nightstand for months that he never finished.

taehyung is about halfway through the book, staring at the current page with a perplexed expression. jungkook wonders how long he's been reading it. He subconsciously gives his hand a soft squeeze, causing him to look away from the page.

"Oh, you're awake."

"Why did you sit like that all night? Wasn't it uncomfortable?"

taehyung shakes his head. "You didn't let go."

jungkook's eyes widen in embarrassment as he quickly pulls away, his hand now feeling strangely lonesome. "Sorry."

"It's okay, I didn't mind."

It's ridiculous really, for the butterflies in his stomach to flutter so much at taehyung's words. The thought of taehyung sitting through the whole night with their hands laced together makes his cheeks burn. taehyung could've just let go, so why didn't he?

His mind replays their conversation from last night and the warm feeling in his chest slowly dissipates until there's nothing left but a horrible empty feeling. Why did taehyung say those things? Why was he acting like that was going to be the end of them? That he was eventually going to hurt him and that he'll be forced to use the weapon?

taehyung spoke of their downfall like it's inevitable. Like the vampire harming him is predetermined even though they've been doing so well. Is that really how taehyung feels? jungkook has been keeping hope and staying optimistic for so long, trying to shove away namjoon's words about how taehyung will eventually grow tired and kill him. Is he the only one who has faith?

"I know you won't hurt me, taehyung," he suddenly says. "Why would you say those things last night? It scares me."

The pained look in the vampire eyes makes his chest tighten. "How are you so sure I won't?" taehyung asks quietly, his eyes avoiding the human's. "I just need you to protect yourself. You promised."

"I promised I would try to defend myself against your brothers, but I'm not going to hurt you."

"Why not?" taehyung stresses, sounding frustrated. jungkook just doesn't understand why he's so stubborn about this. Why does he want him to promise that he'll kill him when it'll never even have to come to that? "I've hurt you before, you'd just lie back and let me do it again?"

"N-No, but I won't have to. You said so yourself, why do you keep talking like that?"

"I said that because I didn't want to upset you any further, but you still need to be able to defend yourself."

jungkook sits up, standing his ground. "Okay I'll defend myself," he says, voice firm. "But that's different from killing you. I'm not going to use a stake on you, taehyung."

"How will you protect yourself without it? I'm bigger," the vampire emphasizes his point by standing up and towering over jungkook's small form, making the shorter cower back. "I'm faster." He has him pinned down on the mattress with his hands above his head in less than a second, pulling the air from his lungs. "And stronger." jungkook is unable to move his hands in the vampire's grip, not even a little.

Despite the vampire's attempts to look menacing, the look in his eyes tells jungkook he won't actually do anything to harm him.

"I'm not scared," he says quietly, his tone is soothing and sweet. "You wouldn't hurt me."

taehyung's threatening demeanor falters, softening as he sighs and lets go of the human's wrists. "Okay then, show me you can defend yourself. Punch me."