xviii. studying by the lake

It was an oddly warm March Saturday afternoon as Tori and her group of friends sat near the black lake, studying for the exams that would meet them soon

Tori sat against one of the trees as she handed Alicia her Herbology book back. "Thanks," She told her friend, jotting down her answer in her notebook. She felt a heave next to her, heating complaint following.

"Are you really doing homework? It's Saturday!" Fred began to complain, shaking his head. "We have final exams coming up!" Tori told him, glancing at Alicia, who found this very funny. Lee as well chuckled, closing his book and looking up at the twins.

"So? It's Saturday!" Georgie plopped down next to her as well, laying down as he looked up at the tree. Angelina wadded up a ball of papers and threw it at him, hitting him in the face. "Hey!"

"I don't want to fail, okay? I... can't." Tori stared at her page intensely, like the words were going to fly away in the wind. Fred glanced at her, almost understanding why Tori felt that way.

Deep down, Tori was hoping that if she did well on her final exams... maybe, it would be something to make her family proud. She bit her lip, writing the next sentence down so harshly she broke her quill.

"You want to race down to the Whomping Willow and see who can touch it first? Legend has it, a student managed to grab a leaf once." Fred asked her gently, looking up at her. Tori shook her head, a smile playing at her lips.

"No. I would actually like to see our second year." Tori chuckled, closing her notebook and setting it down on the grass. She leaned against the tree, watching the tree branch blow with the wind.

Alicia yawned, leaning against Angelina, who quickly pushed her off. "I'm bored." She whined, falling on the ground.

"See? Another today has fallen because of boredom." Fred sighed dramatically, falling into Tori's arms. She rolled her eyes, shoving him off. "Shut up and study." Tori rolled her eyes which caused Fred to smirk.

"You used to be fun, maybe a nice cool splash would help... what do you think Georgie?" George grinned, glancing over at Angelina.

"Yeah, I think it would."

"What are you... wait no!" Tori yelped, once both Fred and George began to drag her to the lake. Tori tried shoving her feet into the ground to stop them, but Lee has gotten up and was pushing her from behind.

"Stop it! Stop!" Tori yelled, trying to getaway. She looked over to shoulder at both Angelina and Alicia, both of them waved at her, smiling widely. Tori looked at them with panic in her eyes.

"Help me! Guys! Please! I can't—" She yelled once again. Unfortunately, it was too late. With a push, Tori was shoved into the lake. The cool water surrounded her, almost like a blanket, taking her deeper. Tori slashed around, trying to reach the top and break free.

She was losing air, fast. Tori began panicking, quickly moving around in every direction. There was another splash from up above and Tori felt something grab her arm. She couldn't see and began to panic again, splashing around, trying to get loose.

The thing grabbed her hard, and yanked her upwards to the top. Tori gasped for breath as she broke free from the water blanket of death. She tried to get the water from out of her eyes as she felt herself be pulled up and out of water.

"Are you okay?!" Angelina's voice was the first one she heard once she was on the grass, coughing her lungs out. Tori weakly nodded, rubbing her eyes so she could see.

She turned next to her to see both Alicia and Angelina, looking extremely worried. Lee was there too, telling her to breathe over and over again. Tori looked over to shoulder to see George kneeling down to a soaking wet Fred, helping him up. Alicia and Angelina grabbed Tori's arms and lifted her up slowly.

She shivered, still freezing from the icy water. She saw Fred about to come over to her when McGonagall's voice interrupted. "Mr. Weasley's, Ms. Silvers. Come with me. Now."

✧ ✦ ✧

"You two are lucky that Ms. Silvers didn't get hurt. That was extremely foolish of you two. I'm going to have to take this up to Professor Dumbledore, most likely send a letter home, and you boys will be facing one month's detention." Professor McGonagall sat at her desk in front of the trio.

Tori and Fred were still soaked but had towels wrapped around their shoulders. Despite the towel, Tori still shivered, but not from the cold. She definitely didn't want to know what Molly would have to say about this.

The twins both stared at the floor. Tori sighed and spoke up."Professor, please." She began. "Yes, you're right. It was foolish and stupid, and dumb, and whatever you want to call it. But it is that big of a punishment?"

"Ms. Silvers, there could have been injuries-"

"But there weren't. Pardon me, it's my fault too. I should have told them first that I couldn't swim. And once they noticed something was wrong, Fred dove in right after me. It was a mistake, and I'm sure everyone here can promise it won't happen again."

The twins nodded quickly but Professor McGonagall didn't say anything, her eyes scanning the three of them. Tori worried she was going to yell at them or something. But Professor McGonagall leaned back in her chair, saying the next thing slowly.

"Week detention in here starting Monday. Do not be late you two."

Tori glanced at the twins, both nodding quickly. "Thank you, Professor."

"Now go on, it's a nice day outside."

The trio all headed out, about to shut the door when McGonagall stopped them. "Ms. Silvers and Mr. Weasley? Don't forget to change into some... dry clothes perhaps?"

Tori smiled softly and left the room, walking up to the common room. She ignored any looks she got or the fact that her clothes were dripping on the stairs.

"Tori, I am so sorry." Fred blurted out. She turned around to face his red face. "It's okay. I should have told you sooner."

"Or we should have made sure." George pointed out, "I thought everyone knew how to swim. Ow!" He cried as Fred elbowed him in the gut.

"Not everyone. I never had to learn, so... obviously, I didn't."

"So, we're good?" Fred asked her.

"Yeah. We're good. But next time you try to drown me, I'm taking you with me."

it may seem like the months are going by fast, but that's just cause i really way to get to year two

this books going through all of tori's year's and even a little after so im a bit nervous about the length.

anyways hope you guys enjoyed by this chapter!