lxxxvi. o.w.l.s.

After her meeting with McGonagall, Tori threw herself into her studies

After her meeting with McGonagall, Tori threw herself into her studies. She read nearly every book on defensive spells she could find and spent a lot of extra time going over potion recipes. She pulled plenty of all-nighters, much to her dormmate's dismay.

She had received a good amount of help from Cedric, who was more than happy to help her study. He gave her some pointers and helped her decide which books were better to use. Eventually, she finally encouraged him to go talk to that Ravenclaw seeker who he had been glancing at for about an hour.

All the fifth years were studying endlessly. Angelina was seated with Tori in the common room on a Friday night, quizzing her on Herbology. Alicia was rereading two years worth of Potions notes as her lips moved soundlessly. Lee and George practiced a few charm spells on a tiny teacup while Fred stared at his star chart until his eyes blurred. Tori stood in front of the fireplace, pacing back and forth.

"What is one distinction of a Fanged Geranium?" Angelina asked her. Tori answered quickly without hesitation. "Their fanged flower with sharp teeth."

"What are its uses?"

"The fangs are used in potions and in cooking..."

"What kind of potions?"

"Strength potions."

"What else is in a Strength potion?"

"Uh... well... wait— an arm bone and a snake fang!"

"Brilliant!"

"Thank you. Do you think you could go over Transfiguration with me?"

Fred glanced up from his star map, blinking. "What are you even going for that you need like twelve O.W.L.S.?"

Tori hadn't told her friends about her consideration to be an Auror. She hadn't had time to with all of the work she had to do, and she wasn't sure if they were going to like it. Being an Auror was a very dangerous job, many died during their work. They dealt with different high-risk situations constantly. But that didn't scare Tori.

"I don't need twelve. I need five. And I'm keeping my options open." Tori replied, flipping through her notebook to find the right page. "You don't have anything narrowed down?" Lee asked, who was now practicing the cheering charm.

"Well... both Professor Lupin and McGonagall think I would make an excellent Auror..."

"An Auror?" Fred asked, looking up from his work startled. "That's so awesome!" George interrupted. He actually looked pretty excited about the idea, while Fred looked worried.

"It's not easy, they only take the best of the best so I need to put all my effort into my O.W.L.S. if I even want to be considered," Tori told them, handing Angelina her notebook. "It's it... dangerous?" Fred said. Tori glanced over at him and shrugged, "It can be, but I've always kind of felt drawn to it. Both  McGonagall and Lupin think I can do it, and so do I."