Chapter 10: my jet

CHAPTER 10: My Jet

12:06
The tinted windows of Rossies diner created a deep amber glow among the lush red booths. The midday rush had attracted a small handful of people into the picturesque cafe and the clicking of plates swarmed the air. My ears pricked on a few conversations that had raised their volume enough for me to hear the wonderful exploits of the consumers week. I had no real urge to care or be concerned in the couples business but the simple sentence that caught my attention was "its one of those days". Glancing at the clock, I giggled in amusement that these people had started the day of so wrong that they could class it as a bad day before even allowing the lunchtime sun to scratch at their skin. Hearing the bell above the door chime, I turned my head to see a man in a full suit enter. Christian looked out of place in such a retro diner but by the way he swung his brief case he seamed to enjoy the vibe present at this time.

"Good afternoon miss Steele, have you ordered" he sat across from me and undid a button on his dark jacket.

"I have. Why so formal?" I quirked an eyebrow to which he dismissed it with such a small smile that could have been easily missed if I had not been already awaiting a response from him.

"All in good time" was all he said before rising to his feet and making his way to the bar. A middle aged women, probably in her 50s, smiled at his presence and happily took her order before starting up a conversation that could only suggest the two were friends. She smiled and nodded before her eyes darted to me, her deep smile widened and her eyes brown creased with excitement as Christian redirected her attention on him.

Turning on his heel he made his way back to the table, barely sitting down before addressing me.

"I need you to come away with me tomorrow" he said. Face serious as stone.

"Wha- where? Why?" I stammered, mouth ajar and eyes wide.

"For gods sake Ana you will catch flies" I closed my mouth, "You have got a once in a life time chance to go and study in Paris for a month, so I accepted for you and our flight is tomorrow at 9am" he informed me removing various forms and tickets from a folder. I said nothing. "I will keep all of this with me for you seem to be the forgetful type and will collect you tomorrow from your house before collecting my jet".

A moment of silence passed over the table.

"Your jet?" I whispered.