Chapter 32

I'm so excited at the moment. Today it's already Saturday. Soon I'm going to see my boyfriend again. I was wearing something sexy underneath my plain jeans and a shirt. I know that will drive him wild when he knows it, so I text him.

As quickly as I had sent the message, to Michael, his response was obvious. "Good to know baby, can't wait to undress you tonight."

I giggle and continue to brush my teeth. When I was almost finished in the bathroom, Cody stormed in without knocking. His face was as pale as a fish. "What's wrong?" I question worriedly. "It's mom." He tells me out of breath from running up those stairs. Roughly, he pulls on my arm to follow him.

In utter shock, I collapse on my knees, seeing her weak body lying on our lawn right beside her favorite chair. "Mom, what's wrong?!" I ask with a weeping voice. "Call 911, dear. I'm not feeling well." A small trail of blood appeared at the corner of her mouth.

Quickly, I take my handkerchief out of my pants pocket and clean her mouth. Cody's already calling 911. "I'm sorry I scared you both, but you need to hear this. I think I've waited long enough to tell you the truth." She admits her breathing became very shallow.

"They will be here soon, mom," Cody tells mom with a trembling voice. "Cody, can you call dad that we will be at the hospital and he can meet us there," I instruct Cody. "I'll do that," Cody answers quickly before calling dad.

"I'm sorry, Sofia. I know I will disappoint you for not telling you the truth, but I thought I saved you and your brother a lot of trouble by keeping it for myself." She tells me with a trembling voice. Her eyes seem exhausted. "Does dad know?" I ask her quickly. "Yes, I ordered him to keep quiet about it." She tells me honestly.

"Are you sick, mom?" I ask her with a lump in my throat. "Yes, I've lung cancer, my dear. I know it for three months now. I get chemo every two weeks and luckily my hair didn't fall out or else I had to tell you guys sooner what was wrong with me." She tells me unsure. "Mom, why didn't you tell us? We could have helped you." I admit softly. The thought of how much I went away on the weekends made me sick. If I knew she was sick, I would have never left her alone. Dad was always home, but it isn't the same. She needed her complete family by her side.

"I didn't want to bother you guys. You are so busy with school and you with Michael and Cody with Annie. I thought I would heal before you guys would notice something was off." She tells us. "Mom, this isn't fair. You just needed to trust us. We are your children." Cody mutters angrily and disappointed.

"You're right. I disappointed you guys and I'm truly sorry about that." She informs us with a sad face. Suddenly we hear sirens approaching. "I'll see outside," Cody informs us before rushing to the front door. "Mom, is the chemo not working?" I ask her with all the courage I had. I knew something was off. I knew the chemo wasn't working properly.

"I need surgery, Sofia. Chemo isn't enough." She tells me softly. "Then we'll make sure you get the surgery," I tell her determined. Two men in uniform kneel beside mother and I step aside. Cody comes standing beside me. It was still like he had seen a ghost. Luckily, mom was stable. Cody drove together with mom in the ambulance and I followed with mom's car to the nearest hospital. The hospital where mom works as a nurse.

As soon as we arrived, dad was waiting at the parking lot. He must have hurried because he was still in his work clothing. "What happened?" Dad questioned me. Fear was visible on his pale face. "I don't know. Cody has found her outside on the ground." I explain to him before we both run to the ambulance.

In the waiting room, I look at my phone to see several missed calls from Michael. Shit, it must worry him sick because of my absence. Cody was also calling with his girlfriend, I presume, and I glance at my silent father. "Dad, I'm going to call Michael Okay?" I ask him silently. "Of course." He answers shortly. His eyes fixated on the door where they vanished with mom.

I walk to a more silent area and dial his number. "Sofia, is everything alright? I called you several times!" Michael tells me, agitated. "I'm sorry, but I'm at the hospital," I tell him silently. "The hospital? What happened? Are you alright?" He burst. "I'm fine, but mom isn't. She's sick, Michael." I admit with a weeping voice. "Which hospital are you in? I'm coming." He instructed me in a hurry. "Where mom works," I answer. "Be there in a few minutes, baby. Hold on." He instructs me before hanging up the phone.

I sigh and look around me. Everywhere people are surrounding each other in waiting rooms. The terror is visible on their faces. We aren't alone in this. So many people are suffering at the moment that it makes me sick in my stomach. It's like I'm living in a bad dream. That this will be all over in a few minutes. But fate had other plans for us. And they have chosen the wrong person. My mother is a saint. She doesn't deserve this. She's the one keeping our family together. What would we even do without her? I can't imagine a life without her. It will kill me if something happens to her.

I'm sitting beside Cody and dad when I see Michael rushing into the room asking about my mother as a nurse. I stand up and our eyes locked immediately. Saying nothing else, he stormed beside the nurse and pulls me in a tight embrace. "Are you okay?" He questioned me with concern.

"I'll be if she's fine," I tell him shortly. "Haven't you received any information whatsoever?" He questioned me calmly. "No," I muttered silently. Michael gazes at dad and Cody. "I'm so sorry about your wife," Michael tells dad softly. "Thanks, Michael," Dad answers shortly. Michael nods encouragingly to Cody, who appreciated his friendly gesture.

"I'll talk with my parents tomorrow. They know the best doctors in this area." He informs me softly. "Thanks, Michael," I tell him softly. Together we just sat there. Waiting for the door to open and reveal a hopeful doctor. A doctor with good news or my world will come crashing down.