Chapter 36

"Mom, do you want spaghetti with meatballs or a dish with potatoes and meat?" I question mom from the kitchen. "Spaghetti would be great, dear," Mom tells me. "Great," I answer cheerfully. If I must be honest, spaghetti is one of my favorites. I could eat pasta every day.

While I was pouring the sauce into the cooking pot, I heard mom's voice nearby. "Is Michael joining us for dinner?" Mom saunters into the kitchen. "I don't know. I haven't heard from him since lunch." I inform her, feeling myself becoming nervous. Knowing Michael has a hard time now his parents are back in town. He was more silent at school than at other times. I felt he was struggling with his thoughts. I wish he could just talk to me.

For a guy it's more difficult to show your feelings, I get that, but this isn't healthy for him."Mom, when are dad and Cody home?" I ask mom. "They can arrive at any minute. Hopefully, they have everything that's on the list." Mom explains with a small grin. "Probably they forgot half of it. Especially the healthy stuff." I chuckle.

Suddenly the doorbell rings. "That will be them." I smile. Mom nods and walked to the door. "Michael, what a pleasant surprise." I hear mom's cheerful voice. I sigh, relieved. Am I interrupting this evening? I wanted to bring you this because I've some news." I hear him saying. "Nonsense, you are family now. Come in, Sofia is making spaghetti. Will you join us for dinner?" Mom asks him in a hopeful voice. "I would like that. And I wanted to ask you something else. I don't want to be rude or anything, but can I stay for the night? I had a fight with my parents and I would appreciate it if I can stay here for one night?" I hear Michael asking my mom nervously. "Of course, Michael. You're always welcome here. I hope you can sort things out with your parents." She tells him sympathetically.

"But you made me curious about that good news." Mom smiles sweetly. Michael and mom saunter into the kitchen. "Hey," I greet him, not too cheerful. He must have felt horrible now after that fight. "Hey, I'm sorry if I didn't call you back. It has been a little hectic at home." Michael explains softly. "I forgive you. I'm happy you are here." I tell him before I gave him a small peck on the lips. I stir in the sauce and turn my attention back toward Michael. "So what's the good news?" I ask him carefully.

"You'll get your surgery next week from a top surgeon that has done this kind of surgery twenty times and the patients all recovered well. Everything is taken care of." Michael leaves us dumbfounded. I couldn't utter a single word.

Mom watches me with enormous eyes back and forth between me and Michael. "Michael, how is that even possible?" Mom stutters in confusion. "I can't give you much information, but it's all settled. You don't need to worry about anything. Here are the documents you need for next week. Give this to the doctor before surgery. He knows about your file. You'll heal Ginny." Michael smiles brightly.

I get a feeling he gets emotional about this. Mom takes the documents in her shaky hands and reads them through. I gaze at Michael, who still watches mom intently. "Michael, these are insurance papers and a copy of an appointment with Doctor Whistler. It's the doctor that I preferred, but we couldn't pay him. Michael, how did you arrange this? I can't accept this." Mom eyes him with mixed feelings.

"You need to accept this, Ginny. It's my gift to you. I arranged everything with Doctor Whistler himself. He's an old friend of my family. Take this as a lifetime gift from me." Michael explains to her softly with a small smile.

Suddenly the front door bursts open to reveal dad and Cody, discussing something about the school."Hi, Michael!" Dad greets him with a friendly punch on his shoulder. "Hi, Mister Davis and Cody." Michael smiles friendly. "Michael leave the mister behind." Dad teases him. "Okay, Carlos," Michael answers with a small grin.

"Honey, you need to hear this. Michael has arranged my surgery." Mom grins widely. "What? How?" Dad turns his attention back toward Michael. "Doctor Whistler is an old friend of my family. I talked to him this afternoon, and he wanted to do the surgery as a favor for the family. These are all the documents you need next week." Michael informs us a second time. This is surreal. He has arranged my mother's surgery. Michael has just saved my mother's life.