Chapter 4

The next morning I still wasn't sure what to wear. I'm eating my cereal in utter silence, my thoughts far away. "Sweety, what's wrong?" Mom asks me in a gentle tone. "Nothing, it's just... I have nothing to wear for that party tonight." I explain to her while stirring into the bowl of milk.

"Maybe I can borrow something from Miley," I add. "Absolutely not." Mom stands from her seat, placing her knife and plate in the sink. I look up at her, not knowing why she doesn't want me to borrow something. I frown at her and look back to my sink. Now I'm screwed for sure. "Why can't I borrow something, Mom?" I question her hesitantly, not knowing why she would react to this proposal. "Because I'm taking you out shopping. Some quality time with my dearest daughter." Mom smiles at me before taking my bowl and placing it in the sink.

I grin widely at her. "Oh, my god Mom, thank you so much!!!" I squeal in surprise. "Get dressed so we can get going." Mom orders me while pushing me out of the kitchen. When I'm walking up the stairs, I hear Mom telling my dad, "If you want you can go swimming with the guys because I'm going to go shopping with Sofia." I smile at the joy that radiates through her voice. This will be awesome. It's been ages since we did something like that. The last time I went shopping was a year ago with Miley.

In ten minutes I was ready to go out. Mom was already standing at the door with my coat in her hand. "The stores will be just open when we arrive, giving you the time to find the perfect outfit. Do you want a dress or something bold?" Mom asks me before closing the door behind me. I shake my head and giggle at her sudden excitement to dress me up.

I'm standing in the fitting room, fidgeting with the zoom of my dress. "Sofia, aren't you ready yet?" Mom calls from behind the waiting area of the fitting room. "Uh-hmm, yeah," I answer her a little startled. I gently open the curtains and reveal myself with an unsure feeling. "It's a little short, don't you think?" I question Mom while stroking the dress that falls over my body.

It feels comfortable, but I don't know what to do with the length of it. "Sofia, it's beautiful. The length is suitable, not too short." She informs me with a genuine smile. "Why are you smiling Mom?" I felt a little unsure under her changing demeanor. Her eyes became teary, and she blinks a little more than she always does. "Mom, are you okay?" I ask her in a worried tone. "It's nothing. You are such a beautiful woman now. My baby girl is becoming a grown woman." She laughs at the end of her explanation. "Mom, it's because of you I'm all grown up. You are an amazing mom." I admit in a soft tone, feeling a little ashamed about my declaration. I never talk that openly to others, but my mother deserved it. She deserves the best because she always puts her family first. Because she thinks it's normal to care for others and place her own needs on hold.

Mom blinks a little harder, trying to reduce the number of tears that try to make their way out. "Come here, darling." Mother gestures with her hands to hug her. I embrace her, and Mom strokes my hair like she always does when I was a child. "Come on, let's grab some food, I'm starving." Mom nuzzles me out of the embrace. I nod and change myself in the fitting room, eyeing my dress one last time before undressing myself. The dress is a printed smock mini dress in black. It was loose, so it was perfect to hide my slim waist and lack of curves.

Mom was already out of the waiting area. I quickly found her looking at the shoes. I smile at her with the dress in my hand. "I'm ready," I tell her. "I've found a black, classy belt that girls your age wears. I asked the saleswoman and you can combine the belt on the dress, revealing more of your waist." She smiles proudly at her revelation. I quizzically looked at her and small laughter escapes me. "Mom, the dress is perfect. I don't need the belt." I assure her. "Yes, you're going to try them on tonight, and I was looking for shoes for you." She admits with her index finger pressed on her lips while watching the shoe collection.

"Mom shoes?" I ask her, a little unsure. "I don't need other shoes," I explain to her with my arms folded. "Yes, you need another pair, so choose one," Mom tells me in a firm tone, not wanting to discuss her decision. I look at the shoes and one pair catches my eyes instantly. It's a bold pair of black ankle heels in Croco leather. "I like these." I point to the shoes with my index finger. This is so much fun shopping with my mom instead of shopping with Miley. She always wants to push me in another style and frequently laughs at my choices it gets on my nerves. Luckily, it won't happen that often that I go shopping.

After an entire afternoon of shopping, we arrive home with two bags of clothing. We had found a small boutique with fancy, but not too expensive clothing. Even mom had bought herself a fresh coat and I bought high waist jeans, two new T-shirts and one cardigan. At the last moment, Mom spotted two other dresses for me. A mini smock dress in ditsy floral and a sweat midi dress with a high neck in gray.

"Mom, I can't thank you enough for today, not only for the clothes but for your time. I had a blast." I inform her while we park the car beside our house. "It was my pleasure, baby girl." She winks at me. Entering the house, it was silent. Cody wasn't home like I thought, and Dad was swimming with his friends. "I'm going to make something simple, you can shower." She smiles at me before turning on her heel and taking some cooking pots out of the kitchen drawer.

I smile and kept smiling while showering. After dinner, I made my way to my bedroom. Seeing the dress spread out on my bed gave me a warm feeling. I'm nervous and I don't even know why. It's just a stupid party, that's all. Suddenly a text appears on my screen.

I'm so excited to go!!!

Miley's text screams excitement. I think she's already dressed up and putting on her makeup as we speak. My phone beeps with another incoming text. She sent me a picture of herself in a sexy mini-black dress. She's black lipstick on. Miley always needs a dramatic look. The black lipstick takes the attention away from her pretty face, but I know she likes makeup, so I let her do her thing. Who am I to judge her style? She has one, and I don't even know what I like to wear. I never wore such a dress as this one. It's so girly and flirtatious. I have to say; I liked this one very much.

I toss my new shoes on the bed and take the belt out of the bag. While dressing myself up, I received multiple texts from Miley. She was so happy I liked her outfit and that she can't wait to have fun tonight. She might get drunk, so I need to monitor her.

Because that's who I am. I'm my mother's daughter.