Chapter 15

With a tiny heart, I turn up the parking lot from school. I park my bike and lock it. Walking at a slow pace, I enter the schoolyard. This feels so strange now. I'm alone now, except for Michael. I'm well aware of the fact he's not going to stay with me every second of the day. He has his friends. Besides, he's older, and he probably doesn't want to be seen too much with a nobody like me. I can't blame him though.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to forget what he did for me. All the effort he put up with me. He even invited me for next Saturday evening. We're going to watch another movie and I'll get the chance to pick one. A big smile appeared on my lips by thinking of last night. While we were seeing the movie, I felt his eyes on me almost the whole time. I thought my imagination was playing tricks on me, but that wasn't the case. I've caught him staring at me multiple times and that made me even more nervous.

I can't say a wrong word because he kept his distance from me the whole time. I can't stop thinking about why he was looking at me. Like I'm beautiful or something or maybe he felt pity full about my situation with Miley.

Luckily, Miley wasn't in sight, so I relax a little and lay my bag pack on the ground. The sound of a roaring engine draws my attention. Michael's black car was as shiny as always. Boys and their toys. I smile when I see him walking in my direction. For a moment he looks at his friends who were standing in their regular spot near the gate. He's going to stand with them, so I pull my phone out of my pants pocket. I check my emails not that I would have received something of importance, but you'll never know.

"So busy already?" Michael's voice startled me. "Fuck, you scared me." I giggle. Michael chuckles at my nervous expression. "You didn't expect me?" He questioned me with a playful smirk face. "Yes and no actually. I saw you looking at your friends and I presumed you would be joining them." I explain to him with honesty. "They have each other. They can live without me for a day Sofia." He informs me with a big smile. "Yeah, I bet they can. Maybe they are relieved now." I tease him a little. "Sure thing." He chuckles.

"What did your mom and dad tell you about our plans for next weekend?" He questioned me with his hands in his pockets. He brushes a loose curl from his forehead. I would love to feel his soft curls between my fingers. "I haven't asked them yet, but I'm sure it won't be a problem though," I admit softly. "Alright then." I could see he was relieved about my answer. He's glad I'll be coming over to his place again. "I was thinking maybe you can come over a little earlier. I can order dinner for us?" He asked me suddenly. "I uh yeah, I would like that," I answer him a little unsure. This feels like a date and I'm not strong enough to ask him what's playing between us. I thought our bond was just platonic. I needed someone to talk to to understand me, and he was just there at the right time. I've never paid more attention to him.

He has a bad reputation, and that bothers me a little. I believe what comes out of his mouth. I believe he cares about me, so I need to forget all the negativity and just relax a little. "What are you thinking?" Michael asks me with a frown. "You were far away." He chuckles. "Sorry, I was just distracted for a moment," I explain to him with an uneasy smile. "Okay." He adds, his handsome face changing into a worried one.

I looked beside Michael, knowing I can't look at him for a few seconds because my cheeks would flush. In the distance, I saw Miley marching towards a gossiping Sydney. She was standing beside Tom. Miley gave her a hug and a kiss. What the fuck. Have they already have some greeting codes? It's surreal, knowing last week she was still my best friend. "You okay?" Michael questioned me while gently stroking my arm. This was the first time he touched me to comfort me. God that felt so good and so wrong at the same time. I look at him and cross my arms. "Fine, maybe you should better stand with your friends because they are looking at you," I inform him with my eyes averted from his face. I can feel him looking at me and his friends.

I sigh and stroke my arms protectively. "Sofia, if I want to stay with you why are you pushing me away?" He questioned me agitated. "I'm not pushing you away. I'm just realistic." I sigh. "No, you're shutting yourself out from me and others." He tells me unsure and brushes his hair back with one swift motion. "I'll go to them, but now I want to be with you is that so hard to believe?" He questioned me firmly. "Because I'm me and you're you," I tell him irritated. "Exactly." He tells me firmly.

Suddenly the bell rings, and it was the first time I was truly relieved to know I can go to class. This was so awkward. "See you at lunch Sofia," Michael tells me before heading off to his friends. Why did I act so stupid all of a sudden? What's wrong with me? He's sincere, he cares about me, and he has invited me over for dinner and a movie. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not sure what to think of it.

First I need to survive this first day, and then we'll see where it all takes me. I need to relax more or nobody doesn't want to get to know me.

The hours in class went not so fast. Miley glared at me multiple times, but I just ignored her. If she thinks I'm going to give her some sort of attention she's wrong. She's air for me now. She has played her role very well.

I take my lunch out of my bag and walk to the lunchroom. A small girl in front of me lets her bag fall out of her hands. She kneels and I ask her if she needed any help because of the items that fell out of it. One book caught my eye. It was a book by Jane Austen.

"Thanks, I'm good." She smiles shyly. "It's a great book you have there," I inform her with a small smile. "I know, most of my classmates think I'm too cheesy, but I love it." She answers me quickly. "Yeah, the forbidden love stories are the best," I admit with a big smile.

I offer her my hand, and she takes it with enthusiasm. "I'm Sofia and you are?" I question her. "I'm Anne. I'm a year younger than you." She smiles knowingly. "Okay, then Anne. It was nice meeting you." I smile at her before heading off to the lunchroom.

I look around and see Michael sitting with his friends. He looks at me and smiles at me. I make my way to a small table that was still empty. Suddenly Anne stops beside me. "Can I join you? Or is this seat taken?" She questioned me unsure. "No, please have a seat." I usher her to sit down. "Thanks." She smiled at me. She was more of a nerd just like me and I love it. With her pale skin and short blond hair, she was normal like me. I felt relieved and relaxed, knowing she's the same interests. She's also not the dramatic type as Miley.

Together we talked and talked until it was already time to go to the schoolyard again. Talking with her was so easy almost like we've known each other for a long time. Even Michael joined us afterward for some time.

This day wasn't so bad after all. I don't need Miley. I always thought I needed her, but I was so wrong. She has kept me as her puppet, and I was too stupid to think her behavior was normal. Every decision she had made was for her good, not mine, and now I understand it. A little too late, but better now than never.

No more crawling behind others. It's my time now. I'm done hiding.