Chapter 34

My alarm woke me up. Gently opening my eyes, I let my eyes adjust to the incoming sunlight. I thought I would lay awake the entire night, but with Michael's body heat against my body, I fell into a deep sleep. I yawn and turn on my right side. Michael also opens his eyes lazily. "Hey, beautiful." Micheal murmurs. "Good morning." I greet him with a small smile. "I need to get dressed," I tell him softly. "I know," He answers with a sad expression. "Are you joining me at the hospital? It would please Mom to see you again." I inform him.

"No, I have to talk to my parents about yesterday. I still need some information from them for your mother." He explains to me. "I understand," I answer shortly. I know he needs to talk to them. What they did wasn't nice. I felt like trash the few minutes I was in their presence. It hurt, knowing they won't approve of our relationship. They don't even see how happy their son is. But I know Michael isn't like them. I trust him with my heart.

After half an hour, we're sitting downstairs at the kitchen table. "Did you sleep well in that small bed?" Dad questioned Michael. "Yeah, luckily we both aren't too big." Michael chuckles. "That's true." Dad smiles warmly. "Are you coming with us or do you go home?" Dad asked him, and I tense for a moment. Dad doesn't know about last night, and I want to keep it that way. He would be so angry if he knew how disrespectful they have been talking about his daughter.

"No, I wish I could join you, but I have got a lot of homework to do. Sofia promised me to update about your wife." Michael responds quickly with an unsure expression. I know he hates to lie now, but I don't want him to feel bad about the fucked up situation. It's not his fault his parents are shameless and disrespectful. "It's okay. I appreciate all of your efforts yesterday." Dad responds with a small smile. "IS Cody coming with us?" I ask dad because of Cody's absence. "No, he wanted to stay home. You know how he is Sofia." Dad informs me. I nod and take all the plates from the table and put them in the sink. I'll clean it up when we get home.

Michael stands up and puts his shoes on. "I'll see you tomorrow. You need some time with your family today." He explains to me with a sad expression. "Yeah, I think it's best to meet up tomorrow," I answer a little blue, but my mother is my priority at the moment. She's sick, and she needs my support now more than ever. "Call me when you're home," Michael instructs me silently before giving me a quick peck on the lips. "Love you," I tell him. "Love you too." He answers before shutting the front door.

Dad and I arrived at the hospital. I couldn't contain the pressure I was feeling at this moment to see her again. When we enter her room, mom was already tidying up everything. "Honey, what are you doing?" Dad questioned her, agitated. "Doc told me you need to rest." He adds with concern. "Oh, I'm so happy I can go home. The doctor has told me I need to rest or else I need to stay here. So, yes, it will be hard. But I'll listen from now on." She explains with a bright smile. She looked so much better than yesterday when we left.

"Mom, I'm so happy you're feeling better," I tell her while pulling her in a careful embrace. "Me too, baby girl. Come on, let's go home." Mom instructs us cheerfully. At the desk, a nurse gave us her following appointment with the doctor. Next week she needs to come back before her chemo.

When I see her as fragile as she was, she's skinnier than normal. How couldn't I miss that over the past weeks? A sting of guilt filled me whole. "What's wrong, Sofia?" Mom asked worriedly. She must have noticed my absent behavior when we walked to the car. "It's nothing, mom. I'm happy you can go home with us." I inform her softly. "Is Michael coming today?" She questioned me with expectation in her fragile, soft voice. "No, he had homework to attend to. Besides, I want to be with my family today." I murmur. The last part was the truth, though. I want to be close to her.

"Oh, Sofia, it's okay if Michael joins us. I don't have a problem with him staying with us. I have grown fond of him too." Mom smiles brightly. I know mom likes him a lot and I know Michael thinks the same way about her. "I know mom, but uh, his parents are coming home today, so it's maybe best he stays with them today," I tell her carefully. I hate to lie, but mom can't handle all of my shit now. I'll explain it later when she's better. When she has her surgery.

"Okay, dear." Mom answers shortly, eyeing me for a short while before conversing with dad about what to eat for lunch and dinner. "Mom," I interrupt them. "Yes, dear?" She questioned me cheerfully. I can't believe how she can be so positive knowing she's sick. "I'll make something for us today. You need to rest." I instruct her seriously. "But I can help you." She whines. "No, Ginny. You heard your daughter. I'll help her and I will cook during the week when it's school." Dad instructs her agitated. "Your such a stubborn man." Mom whines with a small grin. "I need to be tough with you, honey," Dad smirks.

I smile, hearing them discussing who's going to do all the chores. My mother is such a powerful woman. Even when she's sick, she still wants to take care of us. But it's time we care for her. She's done enough for us and the time has come we show her the appreciation and help that she deserves and needs. Only she doesn't know what she means to all of us.

Arriving home, I quickly tidy up the kitchen, not wanting to disturb mom with our mess. "I'll make sandwiches for all of us," I tell my parents. "That's great Sofia," Dad tells appreciatively. While I was busy, I almost forget to text Michael that we arrived home. I take my phone out of my purse and text him we're home. Continuing with the sandwiches, I hear Cody in the living room crying. I lay my knife on the kitchen counter and peek behind the wall.

"Mom, you're going to be okay, right? I'm still angry you kept your illness a secret from us." I hear him telling mom. "I know, sweetheart. I'll be fine, Cody. You know I'm a stubborn woman. I won't give up that easily." She tells him softly. I swallow, feeling the same pain as Cody. That's what we have in common at the moment. We carry the same insecurity about our sick mother. And we want her to heal, so she can stay with us for many years.

I retreat to the kitchen with mixed feelings. While I was making the table ready for lunch, I received a message from Michael. "That's good news, baby. Miss you." He texted me. "How did your conversation go?" I send him back, curious about their conversation. "It wasn't easy. You know how they are. But screw them. They are fucked up people." He answers me. Fuck, it didn't go well, I presume. "I'll call you after lunch." I text him back because mom and dad appeared in the kitchen.

"Lunch is ready," I tell cheerfully. "Great, I'm starving." Dad chuckles. "Me too." Cody appears behind them. I smile and seated myself beside Cody across from mom. Mom takes a few small bites from her sandwich. "What's wrong, mom?" I ask her, seeing her having difficulty swallowing. "It's nothing dear. I'm not that hungry that's all." She answers carefully. "Mom, you need to eat a little. It will give you strength." I encourage her. "Honey, try at least one sandwich." Dad encourages her too. Then she looks at Cody and he nods encouragingly. "If you want to stay with us, you need to eat three times a day. It was the doctor's orders." Cody instructed her softly. "I know. I'm just nauseous the entire time." She tells us.

"Can't they give you medication for that?" I ask her. Mom looks at dad and he shrugs. "There isn't anything that helps your mother's appetite. We do it step by step." Dad explains gently. I nod and turn my attention to my sandwich. My hunger vanished like dust. We will go through a hard time for sure. I really hope Michael can get some more information about the so-needed surgery.