Chapter 33

POV Michael

The waiting seems to last forever. Seeing Sofia stressed and sad gave me pain. I truly hope her mom will be okay. I know the bond she has with her and if I'm honest, her mother is exceptional. She's the opposite of my mother. And if she gets bad news, I'll do everything in my power to help them out.

Suddenly the door burst open and Sofia rushes toward the doctor. Cody and her father followed her on foot. "Doctor, how is my wife doing?" Carlos asked in a hurry. "Miss Santos is stable. Your wife told me she hasn't eaten and her body couldn't handle it. She's weak, Mister Santos. She needs to rest and take things slow. What's important is she needs to eat three times a day or I will take her in. Hopefully, she will listen to you, because your wife is very stubborn." The doctor informed us.

I exhale loudly. But Sofia kept staring at the doctor. She was struggling with her thoughts. "Can we see her?" Sofia asked him carefully. "Of course, but she needs to stay here tonight, so we can keep a close eye on her," Doc explained to her. Carlos nods and shakes his hand politely. Sofia looks at me, her beautiful face full of sorrow. I walk toward her and pull her in my embrace. "She's going to be fine, baby," I whisper in her ear. "She still needs surgery," Sofia whispers. "I know, I'll call my parents tonight," I assure her. She nods and a small smile appeared on her pale face.

She still has hope, and that's what she needs. My parents know the best doctors in the city so they can get a second opinion. After an hour of sitting in the small hospital room, we said our goodbyes to Ginny. She was feeling much better now. "Are you going to be fine tonight?" I ask Sofia softly. "Sofia, if you want you can stay with Michael. I'll come and get you early in the morning. So we can drive together to mom and you can drive home in mom's car. Hopefully, we can take her home then." Carlos tells Sofia. "Are you sure, dad?" She questions a little unsure. "Yes, of course. Cody is going to stay home with me." Carlos winks at Cody, who nods silently. "Okay then, I'll set my alarm early." She answers while looking at me. I nod and look at Carlos. "She's in excellent hands," I tell Carlos. "I know," Carlos answered before hugging Sofia.

Both of us walk to my car. "Do we need to get some clothes from your place?" I ask her before climbing in my truck. "No, my bag is in mom's car. I'm going to fetch it. Be right back." She tells me. After a while, I was glad to drive up to my parking lot with Sofia. I'm happy she will stay with me so I can be there for her. Different lights were on inside the house. That's weird, I must have forgotten to turn off the lights when I left in a hurry. I place Sofia's bag over my shoulder and take her hand in mine. "Are you okay, jewel?" I ask her worriedly. "Yeah." She murmurs. "I'll make you something to eat and then I'll prepare a nice warm bath for you," I inform her with a small smile. I'm trying my best to sound not too happy about her staying, but I'm just happy she's with me. She'll get the comfort she needs and hopefully, she will be feeling a bit better by the morning.

I unlock the door and lay her bag on the ground. The smell of bad perfume surrounded my nostrils. I know that smell. I yank my head to the side to see my parents' coats hanging in the closet. "Fuck," I whisper. "What's wrong?" Sofia questions me in a lower voice. "My parents ..." But before I could finish my sentence, mother faced us in the hallway.

"Michael, you're home. We texted you an hour ago." She whines. Her eyes trail to the person beside me. "Well, well. Who's this Michael?" She smiles wickedly. "She's my girlfriend," I answer shortly. "Sofia Santos, it's nice to meet you," Sofia responds after me, extending her hand toward my mother. I swallow and await my mother's reply. "I'm sorry, who are you?" She questions out loud. "Sofia Santos. I go to the same school as your son." Sofia answers politely. I see mother gazing at her, Sofia her hand still extended.

Sofia lowers her hand after a while, her smile faltering with the second. "Sweetheart, Michael has a guest with him." Mother yells toward the stairs. "Mother, don't." I glare. "Michael, why did you keep such important information behind us? We should know those things and you know that. I thought we have been clear about this from the beginning." She says seriously. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Can't she just shut up until Sofia was gone? She doesn't deserve all of this shit. Especially after what happened tonight. "Michael, how many are you going to take home?" Dad tells me with a devilish smile on his face. "Dad, I always had respect for you, but enough is enough." I hiss. "Come on, Sofia," I instruct her, taking the bag from the ground. "Where are you going?" Mother asked in a high voice. "He's taking the girl to a hotel, isn't that obvious." Father smiles wickedly. "Shut the fuck up! She isn't like them!" I yell at him. "Don't you dare talk like that in her presence, do you hear me!" I shout.

Roughly taking Sofia's hand in mine, I usher us outside, away from them. I knew this was going to happen. Don't they see how happy I am? That I'm serious about my relationship with her. I'm too embarrassed to look at her when I drove off the parking lot. "I'm so fucking sorry jewel," I tell her with my eyes fixated on the road. "It's fine, Michael. It's not your fault." She murmurs. "It is, it is my fault. If I had looked at my phone, I would have known they arrived home. Then I would never bring you here." I tell her firmly."I'm not angry, Michael." She assures me, gently pinching my hand. I swallow the lump away.

"Where do we go now?" I ask her, unsure. "Stay at my place. I'll explain to dad I changed my mind and want to sleep at home." She explains to me softly. I nod, hating she wants to lie about the event that just happened. Who blames her? I'm too ashamed to even look at her. Now she's going to think things between us aren't serious.

"Will you stay with me tonight? My bed is big enough for you." She questioned me carefully. "Are you sure?" I ask her silently. "Of course, I am sure, Michael. I told you before, I trust you. I want to be with you with or without your parents' approval." She assures me. Her hand touches my cheek. "I should comfort you now," I tell her. "You know I'm a provider like my mom." She smiles warmly. "I know." I brush my thumb over her hand. That's why she doesn't deserve this shit. I'll make sure her mother gets the best treatment there is. I owe it to her because she has saved me in return. My jewel.