Chapter 15

"Eko?" Sitting on opposite sides of the table, Kazeem sipped his coke contemplatively while Huma nibbled at a meat pie, chewing carefully and tasting nothing. It was fifteen minutes into lunch time. The canteen was rowdy with students gabbing, laughing and snacking. Huma had just finished informing Kazeem that she'd recently moved off campus and into an apartment with someone, and, although, he seemed pleased she was closer to school, the fact that she'd settled for the infamous community instead of the hostel had him quirking an incredulous brow.

"I'm surprised, that's all." He'd folded back the arms of his white button up sleeves and his tie-the one he consistently wore on Wednesdays, white with black strips-- hung askew around his neck. His charming face contorted comically as he narrowed one eye in suspicion. It was never both. Huma thought it cute. "And your parents agreed to this?"

Huma bit into her snack, eyes shifty.

"Ahh..." Kazeem expanded the word, nodding his head along. He replaced the coke, started on his plate of pasta. "You didn't tell them. The stories about that place are true, you know," with a twirling forking, he entangled stewed spaghetti in its prongs, ate. "I didn't think they were until I found out for myself."

She paused on another bite, astonished. Her board was beside her. She used a jotter in school, much too self conscious to be seen around carrying the other, but Kazeem had remarked positively on the improvement, saying this way she wouldn't be wasting paper. Plus it's not like they weren't aware anyway.

Her personal encounter with Lawrence was the first time she'd used one outside, and, if she were to be honest, it hadn't been as awkward as she thought because he'd been indifferent to the whole thing. (The incident prior was on the verge of recall; Huma shook her head, banishing it).

"You stayed there?" She wrote.

"Yeah, for second year. Then I had to move back into the hostel, despite its deplorable condition. It's one of the best universities in the country; you'd expect a much more suitable environment. Anyway, you remember when I came to class with a broken arm?"

Huma nodded vehemently, frowning as she picked up her meat pie again. It had been in a sling. That happened before they were acquainted, so she hadn't asked despite wanting to. But from what she'd overhead, he'd been ganged up on and beaten.

"I was waylaid on my way back from night class the next morning by some hoodlums there. Jide was with me because i'd promised to sacrifice a night of sleep to tutor him. They stripped him of his fine clothes and shoes-he had to walk to his place in his boxers and singlet (don't tell him I told you that)-took his phone as well. As for me, since I wasn't wearing anything expensive and I wasn't with anything valuable, they beat me up. I know of someone who was shot, caught in the cross fire of one of their gun battles. And," he looked at her meaningfully, "some girls who've had their place broken into and were raped."

The troubling thing was that she'd known how perilous the place could be and yet that knowledge hadn't deterred her. Besides, Uche was there. Somehow she felt comforted, felt....safe. But she couldn't help nursing second thoughts at Kazeem's silent warning. No, she'd stay. Suddenly Huma didn't feel like eating anymore.

"I'm not saying this to scare you, all right? I'm just concerned." Leaning back in his chair, Kazeem grasped his coke, watched her for a moment. "I just wish you'd have said something and maybe I'd have convinced you otherwise." He drank, stifled a burp. "Anyway, things have quieted down, so I've heard. They have vigilante groups over there now. Some of us who are still living there haven't had trouble for a while, so I'm sure you'll be fine. The good thing is you aren't staying alone. So, this roommate of yours is a mature adult, right?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Her eyes narrowed.

"Nothing," Kazeem chuckled, wriggled his brows at her and, leaning forward, began to eat. "So, what's she like?"