Chapter 19

Chapter 19

It took sometime but Huma was able to jostle through the throng of people gathered just before their room, the teddy bear bumping spectators apart. Others loitered outside their respective rooms, leaning on rails, gossiping quietly. The atmosphere was similar to the time she'd moved in, how everyone had peeked behind closed doors or showed overt curiosity as their eyes shone with anticipation. Slowly, Huma was realizing that privacy at home and school, especially off campus, differed, a situation she was yet to get accustomed to.

She dropped the teddy and heels on the floor, noticing Uche's sandals as she brought out her key from her bag because the door was locked. What happened to being late? More importantly, what was happening inside?

All eyes were on her, the murmurings dying down. She sensed this, and glanced at them. They looked like a pack of hungry, wild animals .

"Alright. Alright. That's enough," Henrietta sashayed forward, fluttering bony fingers for onlookers to part. She spun around, hands on her tiny hips, the curled ends of her wig wagging. "This isn't a zoo, is it? Nah only this kain thing una sabi. You all back to your rooms." She shooed them, and muttering, they dissipated.

Everyone, except for one beefy woman. " You too, fatso." For a moment they glared daggers at each other then the woman reluctantly left. "Seriously," She huffed, winced, saying, "I'm going to regret that," and turned to Huma, smiling. "Sorry about them. They get 'exited' over pretty much anything. Such busy bodies. Is everything all right? We heard crashes from inside, and we couldn't open the door to check what was happening. I had to call security."

Huma made a gesture of thanks, unlocking the door but glanced back when Henrietta remained, saw her craning her neck.

"Oh, sorry," she blurted sheepishly and walked away. Huma waited until she was out of sight before entering, goggling the disarrayed room. The wardrobe was open, its content, hers and Uche's, strewn on the floor: clothes, creams, shoes, books. Some paintings hung askew; others had been flung across the room. The reading table and chair had been knocked over as well as the standing fan. As Huma stalked in, she observed the floor was riddled with splinters of mirror that she tracked to its wooden frame which contained shards of it. What happened? Had they been robbed?

At the other side of the bed, she saw Uche huddled on the floor, head on her knees. Her knuckles were bloodied. Quietly, Huma closed the door, went over and knelt, dismayed.

"Don't touch me," Uche murmured when Huma reached for her hands, intending to apply first aid, but was ignored, hissing at the gentle dab of a cloth. "Are you deaf?" She snapped, rearing up her head, red eyes bright with anger. Her face was tearstained. "What's your problem? I said fuck off!"

The harshness made Huma wince; instead of being cowed, she crept in front of Uche and, although continued dabbing. Slowly, Uche retracted her hands, shifting gaze from one to other. Dry blood had streaked her palms. "I didn't mean it," she whispered, then met Huma's eyes. The look in them was almost delusional. Even in so much despair, beauty remained untarnished. "I swear," And because, Huma had no idea what she was talking about, sat back on her heels, stared. For some reason the tears, the pain she could feel as well as see broke her heart, knowing something really bad must have happened.

As the tears dropped, Huma, without thinking, wiped them off with her palms, expecting a rebuke, surprised when none came. She wrapped the hands out of sight, sensing they were part of the distress, after which, she moved beside Uche and, hesitantly, put an arm around her shoulder, pulling Uche close. Barely days ago, the situation had been the reverse, and Uche had comforted her; she'd do the same. Huma placed her chin atop Uche's head, listening to her quiet cries while soothingly rubbing her arm. Stiffening at first, Uche began relaxing, allowing herself to be held. Again, Huma expected a yell, a curse, and again, none came.