Chapter 32

For the past few weeks, Uche's ankle recovered rather quickly under the watchful gaze of a grim stalker who followed her everywhere- the bathroom being the only exemption.

"Sit that little ass down right now," She commanded as Huma got up from where she sat, leaned back into the huge teddy bear and doddling something in a book, which she put away on Uche's emergence from the bathroom carrying two buckets filled with freshly washed clothes.

Huma obeyed, face sulky.

It was odd how fast she had adjusted to Uche's potty mouth. Out of the blues, she'd showed up at the apartment on a brief visit since it had been Sallah( apparently, the girl had been fasting unknown to Uche) bearing food, only to return much later after seeing her injured roommate, despite Uche insistence on being okay.

"You should spend the rest of the holiday with your family,"Uche had said when Huma appeared again with her things, intent on discouraging the girl's decision to stay back. "Next semester is going to be tough. You'll regret it if you don't." But she soon found out that Huma could be deaf as well. Then her father had called, asking of the extent of injury.

"Nothing serious,sir." She had answered, eyes narrowed at Huma who avoided her gaze. "Just tripped and fell. I'll be alright. Thank you for the food. I really do appreciate."

The weeks saw Huma at her bedside, attending to every little need. Sometimes, Uche would awaken to see the girl dozing off or sound asleep with hands pillowed under her head. It felt strange- someone watching over her- yet, oddly comforting. Now, however, Uche was fed up. She was injured not dying.

When she set the buckets down to open the door, Huma rushed to pick them up but they were far too heavy for her and she struggled.

Uche stared in amazement, recalling a time when the girl cowed into a corner in fear of her. "Since you want to carry them so badly," she said, unlocking the door and holding it open so Huma could go through unhindered.

Outside, Henrietta who was plaiting someone's hair in front of her room, a cigarette between her lips, waved at them. Huma cringed and disappeared down the stairs while Uche followed after they exchanged glances. Reaching the wash line, Huma bent over, breathing heavily and wiping sweat from her forehead.

"Tired already?" Uche started hanging the clothes and pegging them." Then again, why wouldn't you be. All you eat are custard and oats. I would have asked you to join me for my morning jogs, but you're too weak, too thin. I'm afraid you'll either end up slumping dead or disintegrating into dust along the way."

Behind Uche's back, a disgruntled Huma pouted. Why must she be so mean?

"Don't pout," Uche said dully. "The truth is bitter."

Huma's eyes widened with surprise. The witchy duckabit strikes again.

Finished, Uche turned, eyed Huma." Why do I feel like you just called me something?" Those big eyes darted to the side. " You did, abi?" She asked, and Huma shook her head. " I've told you before: you can't lie to save your life."

Some distance away, some persons passed by, entering the building and Uche looked up and made brief eye contact with Lawrence who was in the company of some guys.

Huma saw the distant expression on Uche's face before her features schooled into indifference. Had something happened between them?

"Get the buckets," Uche said, walking away. She half expected him to come knocking, but a few minutes later, he was heading back towards the hotel.

Camped on the floor, Huma watched Uche stare out the window. Was her roommate frowning or was it a trick of the light?

"What are you staring at?" The stern look in Uche's eyes had Huma shaking her head and holding up her book to shroud her face. She grabbed her water bottle, sipping water.