Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"Looks like I was right." The rain pelted the windshield, fogging and misting. He smiled smugly at the stiff woman beside him as he turned on the wiper.

As Uche looked out the window, arms crossed, he took the opportunity to roam his gaze over her frame, which he wouldn't have done so overtly otherwise, because where others may rivet the attention, it seemed to make her more than just uncomfortable. Although he had teased her about it, he no longer condoned the thought of her hiding from him. He was beginning to doubt his brother's ways-perhaps the same card didn't win the game all the time.

Her body had recuperated fine over the weeks he'd been away, injuries had healed, and since she was without make up, he could see no signs of dark circles, but her eyes now had this tired bleakness to them-if such a term made any sense.

Silently, he exhaled in relief. At first he thought he'd blown it, acted out of character, been excessive. Nevertheless, he'd succeeded in luring her into his car. Yes, he hadn't expected her there, which complicated matters. How would he explain their relationship? He could have passed Vanessa off as his sister, but he felt sure she had figured things out after having seen them together once. The lie was fallible in many ways than one.

He had been totally reckless.

One issue after another.

As of now, he would just have to be content with the moment. The car in front crawled forward, and soon enough every vehicle was at a standstill, bumper to rear. Meanwhile the rain raged on, relentlessly blinding shields and battering roofs.

"We are going nowhere for awhile," Lawrence murmured, sitting back. Pleased, a little nervous, he killed the engine. Circumstances had granted him more time, except when he glanced at Uche, she had her head inclined up on the head rest, eyes closed. If she was asleep, he couldn't be certain. A ploy to get out of dealing with him?

Turning in his seat, he checked on Jidenna who had mostly been quiet as he mouthed a toy in the backseat, snug in his carrier. He didn't miss the slight flinch of Uche's features. Then she opened her eyes, stared ahead, and he saw that they were red. "Relax, Uche. I'm not going to lose it in the middle of the road. I'd expect that after last time, you'd have a little faith in me."

She rubbed her eyes, squinted then brought out her phone. Lawrence got the message. He turned on the player, and he remembered rather late that he had replaced his brother's hip-hop and rap jams with his some time ago. Instead of voices the likes of Burna Boy, Olamide, Migos, Kendrick Lamar, Drake or Eminem, it was the instrumental beats of Chike's Roju. He had forgotten to make the swap.

Fantasic, he thought. The radio stations were out due to the heavy rainfall. It was either this or that silence she wanted, so he let it play, drumming his fingers on the wheel. bobbing his head with the flow. Then Lawrence cleared his throat, got his pipes ready. Like a loaded pistol he fired. He sang along.

There was restless movement beside him. He pretended not to notice, feeling the tension build. At some point, he began whistling.

"How long?"

Finally, he thought. "Pardon?"

"How much longer do you plan on making me wish I was deaf?"

""I'm just out of practice." Lawrence grinned, turning down the music. "A little."

"You poor, deluded thing," Uche droned.

He whistled. "Tough crowd." Jidenna uttered a loud gleeful sound. "At least, you still I'm great." He poked one of the boy's cheeks, a gentle touch.