Chapter 11. 3

The emblazoned signboard was easy to locate. Lykstas resort looked more of a grand hotel than a mere block of apartments, the adjoining buildings towering with its many glinting windows, enclosed by an extensive wall. Certainly like stars; there were no superlative comparisons among the bungalows and duplexes around as its opulence easily outshone their humble abodes. The immaculate white and black walls were spotted with satellite dishes. The ornate gate only afforded the view of the expansive mosaic floor, the stairs that led to a pristine porch, and the rear ends of luxuriant cars parked in rows under a number of pop up canopies. A cubicle protruded outside by the gate. As they drew nearer, someone appeared at the open partitioned window and peered at them.

The gateman- deduced from his uniform-leaned forward on crossed arms and waited until he was sure the unfamiliar persons were headed the resort's way then watched quietly as they survey the area. "Can I help you?"

The taller one whose hair was coiffed in an Anita baker cut answered. "Good afternoon. Uh, yes. Is this a hotel by any chance?"

"Depends on the needs of who's asking."

"We were directed here by someone. She told us we could find an apartment to rent here. From the look of it, she must have misunderstood what we meant."

"No, it wasn't a misunderstanding." The gateman said. "Lystas is multifunctional. That's why I said it depends on your needs."

"So, how much does an apartment go for?"

"I'm not sure. I'll have to contact the caretaker. Please wait a moment." He added and disappeared from the window.

Letting out a breath, Uche paid no mind to her palpable heartbeat. Her body was laden with fatigue, much more than when they had begun searching, she could barely carry around her own weight. Even the aches had intensified. Dizzying spells came and went, and she didn't think the profuse sweating came from the heat alone. She was sick, really sick (probably malaria, maybe typhoid). After now, she'd have to get treated, get the wound examined as well---that meant extraneous spending of the meager earnings she'd saved up. Not that it mattered anymore.

The man had left before she could stop him. It was the most appealing prospective place so far but a cozy place like this usually came at exorbitant prices, and while the rent was no longer a problem for her, it could be for Huma's parents. (By the grandeur, she guesstimated a cost of more than two hundred thousand naira, and she doubted paying half the amount, even if it was just for a year, would settle with them.) Although their payment wasn't necessary since the place would essentially be hers, but she couldn't offer the girl a free stay without arousing suspicion.

As believable as possible, he'd told her.

They were already here, though. A little sightseeing wasn't too bad. From somewhere inside Adekunle Gold's Call on me in a mellowed volume suddenly stirred the quietude. There was a tapping sound, much closer, and Uche glanced at Huma who was at a distance beside her. One hand held her jotter and she was tapping it against her right leg while staring straight ahead with an unreadable expression on her face.

Ever since they left the shop, that distance, that expression had remained. Uche knew it was as a result of what she had said. Maybe she'd been too cold in her delivery. Maybe. In the end, she'd made her choice: Pay back her debt, reap the benefits that came with it. She told herself that the disappointment she'd seen on Huma's face when the girl thought she'd abandoned her had not influenced the decision. Years had gone by, and they never resurfaced. Micheal was right: she was over thinking, and she could use his help right now. The gateman returned but not at the window. He stepped outside his cubicle, opened the gate and ushered them in.