Chapter 42

At lunch break, Fatima approached Huma. "Your fiance is cheating on you," She said, placing her food tray on Huma's table and sitting.

Huma was bemused. Her fiance had nine women and he was married to them. Did that count as cheating? Wait. How did she know about the old man??? Her doe eyes widened,her heart raced. She'd only told her roommate. Could Uche have divulged such information.Huma had come to trust the woman deeply and for that reason believed she was incapable of such.

"You must be heartbroken." Fatima said with mock sympathy. " I knew he was too good to be true."

Was the old man really having illicit affairs? What if she told everyone? She'd die of embarrassment.

"Imagine my surprise when he kissed that beautiful roommate of yours. The passion was ...something else. I bet they've been seeing each other for a while." Fatima shook her head. " What a world."

Huh? Huma blinked. Then she remembered the ruse she'd played with Lawrence's brother. She had believed him and left both Kazeem and Fatima to their conclusions. But the evil twin hadn't been at the event. That meant.....

They'd kissed???

She gasped, covering her mouth.

"I'm so sorry," Fatima said, seeing how shocked she was. "To be betrayed by your lover and someone you called a friend. But it's better this way. Now you know he's a cheat, you can call the whole thing off before it's too late." With a smile she ate her food. Kazeem later joined them, surprised to find the two unlikely pairs together.

After classes had ended for the day, Huma texted Lawrence and they agreed to meet up close to the social science faculty. She saw the familiar black car and shuddered, thinking of the day she'd been certain death awaited her.

"Is everything all right?"

Instead of answering she tugged at some of the exposed hairs on his arm.

Lawrence grimaced, rubbing the sore area. "I guess she told you huh."

Furiously, she typed on her text to speech device. " She didn't. My friend's girlfriend did. She must have met you at the event and saw you two kissing." Huma blushed, looking away

Lawrence was quiet awhile, reflecting on his carelessness..
"The boy who was with her? What was his name...Hakim?"

"Kazeem," she corrected.

"He seemed to know me, but we've never met. He must have come across my brother. How did that happen?"

"Long story. They think we're engaged."

Lawrence raised an incredulous brow. "Excuse me. We are what?"

"That's not the point. Forget it. I want to talk about my friend. How could you?I trusted you." All this time,she'd been aiding because he had given his word, only for him to molest her friend.

"I didn't....it just happened. I wasn't thinking." He sounded exasperated with himself.

Huma saw his face contort with genuine regret and her anger vanished. On a closer look, he appeared tired, dark circles rimming his eyes. There was a bruise on his bottom lip.

"She hit me," Lawrence told her, " which is no less than I deserve. I must be just another man after her body to her." He ran a hand through his hair. That part seemed to really bother him. " I'm sure she doesn't want to see my face ever again."

Huma wasn't sure about his but Uche, right now didn't care for any face. She'd resumed her old habits- staying out late and keeping silent. The day after the event, she'd had a nightmare and sleep talked. The event must have triggered something. Her friend was more aloof than ever. She regretted egging her on.