Interlude xiii

"Make arrangements,"  I spoke into the phone. " As soon as the election is over, I'll be coming to Benin." Sipping the wine in my hand, I stared at the bustling city below. It was always rush hour in Lagos. " I must say I'm rather disappointed that it took you this long to find her but you found her regardless, which is remarkable. My team wasn't able to pinpoint her location. You'll be rewarded."

Ending the call, I pocketed my hand and sipped more wine, a smile on my face. Finally, I had her. My pride had taken  a blow but it was worth it. I was sure skeleton would be estactic--in his own way. Even though, an ill fate awaited our reunion, I couldn't help the unbidden thoughts than filled my head: had she grown more beautiful? Was she happy? Had she made friends? Was she planning a life for herself?

The more she felt secured, the happier she was, the more exciting the effects.  Wine slide into the wrong tract and I coughed, spilling some on my suit. Ostrich rushed forward and began wiping the stains off, taking the glass from my hand. He'd been so quiet I had almost forgotten he was in the room.

"Leave it," I told him, and he stepped back hesitantly. Fortunately, the suit was black. I looked at the boy, his face was wan and swear beaded his forehead. "Have you started taking your drugs?" The boy was sick with malaria.

Ostrich nodded.

"It's obviously not working." I said, walking over and feeling his forehead. "I'll call the doctor. He'll give you injections. Take the next two days off."

"Thank you, sir." He said quietly, bowing his head before leaving.

Alone, I sat down, poured myself another glass of wine and called the doctor, after which i cogitated on my next job. As much as the thoughts of Uche's demise appealed to me, I still had the elections to worry about.  We'd covered the local areas and slumps garnering as much support as possible for the chosen candidates. There was always people to convince; people in need of silencing. Unfortunately, the election was rumored to be postponed further which meant more time to solidify our plans and make the old man happy, so we have  been on move, slitting throats and greasing palms.

My phone began ringing, pulling me to the present.

"Yes,"

"Sir, he made contact."

I smiled to myself. " Like we knew he would."

"What do we do, sir?"

"Has he mentioned anything?"

"Not yet, sir. But he plans to."

"You know what to do." I ended the call. Shaking my head, I snorted. " Some people never learn." What was that adage about stubborn flies?

*************

The viper could sense trouble brewing. He'd just gotten off the phone with a rather vile,prideful member he hadn't thought would make contact twice, at least not until he was ready. The elections was four months away which gave him enough time to conclude his plans- he hoped. If he sensed otherwise he'd have to swing into action.

Lighting a cigarette, he leaned on the balcony, watching the scenery while his mind worked. From behind a woman hugged him, her naked body pressing into his. Although he'd recuperated from the old wound, she was careful with him.

"Baby," she said huskily in his ear, " what are you doing out here?"

"Thinking."

"About?"

Straightening, he turned around. For a mother of five, she had an amazing body. He touched her face which was beginning to age. A finger carressed her lips swollen from his freverent kisses. "You." Unbidden, an image of a much younger woman came to his mind whose innocence and bravery still haunted him. The viper frowned.