Interlude IX

Interlude IX

"You said Lykstars. Okay, I'll call you when i'm at the gate." Rita stared out the window in Lawrence's room. She couldn't believe it.

"Car packed up. The lies women tell." Lawrence spoke while he wrestled with a game console. " I take it your plan worked." He glanced up,saw Rita's wide eyes and parted lips. " What's the matter?"

"She's....here." Her eyes drifted back and forth, a finger pegged between teeth. Soon she dissolved into a monologue.

"Who's here?" Lawrence inquired."Rita." Those eyes shot to his face. "You're doing it again."

She went to join him on the floor, among scattered pillows. "That classmate I told you about."

"The one who broke your heart?"

"Prick."

Lawrence smiled, eyes fixated on the screen.

"She's one of the tenants here. Perhaps you've met her."

" I doubt it."

"Ah, yes. I forgot. You wouldn't have." Then a knowing look came into her eyes." So, how's it going with that mystery woman of yours?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Don't play dumb. You've been on your phone more often these days. Sometimes I catch you smiling to yourself. You finally nailed her, haven't you?"

"Again, I don't know what you mean. I've got business interests and that requires me to use technology."

"Business, my ass," Rita said, rolling her eyes. "I wasn't born yesterday. So, who is she?"

"Doesn't matter. She isn't interested in me."

"Are you telling me the bitch is still giving you a hard time?"

"Uhum," Lawrence replied, smirking wryly. " I wouldn't call her a bitch though."

"Well, if she can keep this shakara nonsense up and not see what's right in front of her, then she is a bitch. A blind one." She huffed. "But I don't see how that's possible. Even I have the hots for you and I have a boyfriend. Are you sure her sight is intact?"

Lawrence chuckled. "I'm sure."

"Pity. You find a woman you're interested in and she's playing hard to get. Such arrogance. I bet she's already fallen for you and just using you to catch cruise."

"You think so?"

"Uhuh, it's a woman thing. If we just own it straight up, it would make us look far too easy." She suddenly beamed, excitement in her eyes and voice. " Anyways, I'll introduce you to her as promised. I guarantee that you'd forget this mystery bitch afterwards."

"I don't know, Rita," with a hand, he picked up his drink, smiled around the tip of the glass cup. " That seems highly unlikely."

"Just say you'll be available."

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" At the gentle reminder, Rita shot to her feet. Cursing, she bustled around for her things. "For someone who was pissed off for weeks, you seem pretty excited about this."

"I'm not!" She snapped as she flew out the door. Then she was back in, looking sheepish. "Can I borrow an umbrella?"

***********

"Are you going to come in?" Rita shifted her gaze from the hand bill - her hand bill- pasted on the door to Uche's retreating back. The aesthetics of the whole place wasn't what she'd expected. Especially the paintings. Maybe she had judged too quickly.

A Hazel Havenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें