Chapter 11

Huma thought her father looked about to confess some horrible deed-- maybe not horrible, shameful was a better word to qualify the worrisome way his face fell and the unease with which he twiddle his key.

For most part of her life she was conscious of, the man had never expressed overt concern or anxiety over anything, always the calm and rational one, except when she was involved then he became highly territorial and defensive, like now, stroking her hand while their fingers were interlocked-a gesture she had come to know as protective, especially in times when he wanted to reassure her and re establish a connection.

"Are you listening?" Nadeem asked when Huma stared into space, and she blinked at him. She nodded, folding her lips in. He looked indecisive for a moment or two then sighed. "We know you leaving is temporary and staying closer to school would be beneficial to your studies, especially when the projects are given, which is crucial in your finals, and the salient reason we considered the whole thing at all. Your mother and I went through a difficult phase when you left for your internship, we were worried all the time, and if not for that kind woman, your mother was ready to make the trip to bring you back, whether you failed the course or not. Now you're leaving again, not to mention, you'd be married almost immediately after you conclude the year, Alhaji was particular about that. No time for last minute talks before you're whisked off."

Nadeem broke eye contact. "She's worried, like I told you; her outburst was from a deep-rooted sense of concern, but she's seen the errors of her way and how advantageous it will be for you and has agreed to your decision. So don't worry about her."

How he had gotten her mother to agree still puzzled Huma. And when she'd asked him, he had been evasive, repeating what he said now, telling her not to worry, and she had reluctantly accepted his words as the truth; after all, what mattered was her approval.

"And don't be put off by our fall out, either. I know you've not really seen us go at it, but these things happen, married or not. Sometimes it's rosy, other times, the thorns from the flower pricks your fingers. His wives are very welcoming, unlike the troublesome ones you see on television: if they are not fighting you or amongst themselves, they are plotting your death to win the husband's favour."

He plucked Huma's nose with his free hand, making her grin. He chuckled when she batted the hand away. "He is a disciplinarian, and his wives act accordingly."

Becoming sombre, he squeezed her hand briefly. "It was always your mother, the worrywart, now, I'm afraid to say, your grandmother has joined in and that worries me." Nadeem admitted finally.

Grandma? Huma's curiosity was piqued. The woman never mentioned anything other than matters of marriage to her. What had ruffled the old bird's feathers?

"You know our history has not been pleasant to say the least," he was saying, "and as much as I'd like to ignore her, I can't this time. For years, we have been at each other's throats; maybe I don't fully understand her ill nature towards me, but her concerns so far has been.......valid. Although I don't see any reason to worry, I spoke with the girl and she seems okay: respectful, articulate, she sounded sincere. But you still need to watch out. Your grandmother was vague, as usual, but she wants you to be really careful from now on, regarding what? I have no idea, no one ever does."

"I trust you to be chaste, that's without any doubt. You are already wary of people you don't know so I fail to see what she meant. Nonetheless," he gave her a serious look. "Be careful in whatever situation you need to be, hm?"

Although far from piecing things together, bewildered still, Huma nodded. She was always careful.

"Good," Nadeem nodded as well, released her hand, and rose. "Let's go." As he walked to the door, Huma reached into her school bag, which she held in a hand while tarrying behind, for her lavender oil. She locked the door and rushed to her father, who was already descending the stairs, rubbing the oil on her palms. She placed oil scented skin to her nose and drew in a deep breath, her nerves calming.