Chapter 38

"I know it's isn't true," Sharon had seen through the flimsy lie. Her tone registered hurt but she smiled warmly. " I know you don't want me around-you never wanted me or anyone else around- and I understand. Especially now. You could have just told me."

"It's not what you think," Uche said. "It's complicated." She was on break and had settled somewhere in the supermarket for a quick lunch and Sharon had come looking for her-as expected. "At least sit down."

Sharon shook her head."I'm fine standing. I won't be here for too long anyway." She was quiet a moment." What do you mean it's complicated?"

At loss for words, Uche fumbled."I don't just think I'm the person you should be around." It isn't safe, she wanted to say.

"I think that's my decision to make." Sharon said. She brought out a paper and pen from her hand bag, scribbled something down and place the paper on the table. "That's my number. I'll also want to invite you to my wedding, when it's time. They want me to give birth first."

"Sharon, really--"

"I've always admired you." Sharon interjected, meeting Uche's gaze and cutting off her flow of words. "You were not like the others. I know you never saw me as a friend, but you are. To me. You kept my secret and treated me well despite what everyone else said. I love how you're so beautiful, Uche and you don't raise your shoulders about it......I just ...just don't run away. Let me come see you." She sniffed then laughed, wiping tears from her eyes. "I'm sorry. These days I cry over anything. Must be hormones."

Huma walked into their midst at that moment, looking between them, and Sharon smiled, composing herself.

"See you later then," she hurried away before Uche could stop her.

"Who is she?" Huma asked having seen the familiar face before.

"No one," Uche folded the paper into the pocket of her Jean." Have you eaten?"

Huma shook her head. It was as one of those 'we won't talk about it' issues. She had a nylon bag with her and placed it on the table as she sat down.

"You can have some of my food. I couldn't finish it." Uche said handing over her food flask. She eyed the fruit juice Huma opened ready to drink." Can I have some of that?"

There was a stiffness along Huma's Jaw as she passed the drink and Uche was aware that every gulp squeezed her heart. " One of those rare moments when your selfishness raises it's ugly head." Uche commented.

Caught so easily, Huma blushed. It wasn't selfishness. She just believed in equal satiety.

"You just gave yourself an excuse, didn't you?" Huma spluttered juice as Uche smirked. Just how readable was she? Huma thought, wiping her lips.

"Ann," they turned to look as one of the sales girls approached. "Madam wants to see you," she said airily, moving past them.

Ann?

"It's my christened name," Uche said, rising. " I thought I mentioned it." Memory failed Huma and she shook her head because it wasn't used so often. "I'll be right back." She went to her cashier desk because two shopping bags were on it, which she eyed puzzedly.

"There you are," her boss, a rotund woman, approached. " I want these delivered to this address." She handed Uche a piece of paper and transportation.

Immediately, Uche read it, she frowned. Not again.

"Is there a problem?"

Uche glanced up, pocketing the paper and picking up the bags. "No, ma."

"Don't be late, and deliver it personally," the woman said as she walked deeper into the supermarket, her enormous behind waggling.