Interlude ii

Interlude ii

The phone in Lawrence's hand rang as he exited the elevator and ambled down the corridor to his room.

"Anthony," he said when he'd swiped receive and the earphones around his neck were snug in his ears, "how is she?"

"Fine. The doctor says she'll be fine,"

"What's the matter with her?"

"Uh, well......I'm not family or friend, so they are being tightlipped about it. But it's nothing that can't be taken care of."

Lawrence let out a breath, relaxing for the first time since he'd stepped into the building. The sensation of her body in his arms still lingered; even now he could still see her face in sleep, looking very serene. Her skin had been hot to the touch, her eyes tired while they had spoken. He had known something was not quite right since he'd last seen her—she had looked drawn, grown leaner, and appeared even worse today. It was part of the reason he hadn't let her leave because his intention had been to foist a ride on her after they were done—she'd have rebuffed the offer but he would have insisted. What if she'd collapsed on the way in this goddamn place? "What about the girl she was with?"

"She came with. Do you know that she can't---"

"Talk. I know."

"She didn't want to leave, but her old man was waiting. She only relented when I promised I'd inform her if anything was said. I also tried to give her a ride, but she refused—it was almost like she was scared of me, Lawrence. Really scared. I could only help her hail a taxi."

"Who wouldn't be when you look like a fucking tank?" Lawrence could tell he was being given the bird, but Anthony dared not voice it.

"Is that how you treat the guardian of your crush?" Anthony sounded genuinely affronted, "I missed my match because of you."

Lawrence's jaws clenched at his attempt to tick him off, "She is not---"

"Yeah, yeah. So you say. When you no fit find am since, you dey carry face, you no let person rest. Now she don carry leg waka come, you dey deny am. When you couldn't find her you were so moody and restless; now that she has wandered your way, you're in denial. If you don't want her, Lawrence, I can always take over."

"Shut up," he growled. Anthony chuckled. "I'll make it up to you. Besides, Arsenal lost. Again. Watching it was pointless."

"Bastard."

He rapped on the door then opened it and peeked in. A woman was sitting on the king-sized bed with Jidenna enfolded in her arms, breastfeeding him. Startled, she looked up at him, face flushed, eyes wide.

"Take care of the bills," Lawrence said, shaking his head at her. Painful relief had the woman wincing. The feeding breast was exposed right down to Jidenna's sucking mouth and pudgy arms which palmed the surface as he continued drinking greedily. She didn't try to cover herself, bowing her head and stroking the child's cheek, so Lawrence closed the door for privacy.

"I already did, mostly. They are going to have her admitted, though. I haven't got enough cash on me."

"Send me the details. I'll transfer how much is left. You pay, after which you leave."

"Got it, boss,"

After concluding the transaction, Lawrence reentered the room. She was on her feet, fastening the buttons of her shirt while Jidenna lay on the bed, looking wide awake, decidedly playful and well fed. The child began blubbering sounds. She leaned down to wipe his mouth then tickled his tummy, earning a gaping smile.