Interlude xii

NOTE: SHORT CHAPTER

The phone didn't stop ringing. He let it. Inhaling the warm comfort into his lungs, Ryan exhaled in a smoky rush, his head tilted back, his eyes closed.

His mind was dark and troubled. On his cheek the kiss lingered. It had jarred him. He didn't remember the last time a woman's touch lacked sexual intent. He could see those huge eyes of her full of genuine concern for him. For him? The girl amused him-she was so full of fear yet dared to be bold. He chuckled into a fit of coughs that hurt his side, and he groaned. He touched the bloodstained area, smearing his hand with blood.

The door opened and Anthony walked in."I'm sorry, boss. I should have knocked."

Ryan quickly wiped off the blood on his Jean. "What is it?"

"A call," Anthony replied as he strode to where Ryan was sitting. "They want to know why you're not picking up."

"Tell them my phone screen went blind. It was a rough fight afterall."

Anthony was suddenly on one knee, head bowed. " I'm deeply sorry. I should have known the woman was holding a knife."

Ryan eyed him through plumes of smoke. But he'd known and he'd seen the moonlight gleaming off its steel surface as the woman attempted the stab." We all make mistakes, don't we?"

"It won't happen again." When Anthony raised his head, Ryan could see the question written all over him. His boss' eyes were acute and his reflex excellent, even at night. Why hadn't he dodged the attack? But he didn't dare ask that.

"Just pick that up," he jerked his chin at the cigarette that Huma had left on the floor. "If they call again, simply state the obvious. The operation was a success. I'm heading to Lagos for the next one, and not a word more."

"Yes, sir."

As he shifted to tap the butt the cigarette on the ash tray, Anthony studied his injury. Some blood had escaped and.was trailing down from the bandage.

"It seems your wound has re opened. We'll need to go back to the hospital."

"Go back to the hospital for what?" Lawrence stepped into the room through the door left ajar. He looked between the two, frowning.

Ryan smiled darkly to himself. " Then again, why spend money when we have the hands we need."

Anthony rose, saying,." The wound has re opened."

"I thought the instruction was to rest." Lawrence said scowling. " Just how stubborn can you be?"

"When you're done, patch me up. There's work to do." Ryan blew out more smoke.

"The only thing that you'll be doing for now is resting. Tony, my things, please, and leave us."

A few minutes later, Lawrence had stitched the wound shut and was fixing up a drip.

"It's at times like this, my money seems well spent on you." Ryan lay back on the bed, going through his phone. He felt the not so gentle jab of a needle into his left hand and smiled. Someone was angry. "Coward."

Lawrence was quiet a moment. "You haven't told me exactly what happened. How on earth did someone get the best of you?"

"And who said someone got the best of me?"

"I know a stab wound when I see one."

"Good for you," He started to sit up.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lawrence asked as he stood.

"I have work to do." His vision suddenly waved and he staggered back. Ryan shook his head to clear the daze. " What did you do?"

"I added a sedative. You're not going anywhere." Lawrence voice sounded farther and farther away. He cursed under his breath before falling back and blacking out.