Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"If you're coming out then come out." Zainab said as she broke melons, hands poised over the tray. She was seated under the shade of a tree in the garden. The afternoon was breezily cool. Mr Effiong's merry renditions of his much loved local songs could be heard from his station.

Huma, who had been peeping at Zainab stepped into view and, hesitantly, approached her mother. She sat on the bench next to Zainab, readjusting the ends of her dress, then folded her hands on her laps. Her hair, still damp from washing, framed her face with wild curls.

"It's not dry yet," Zainab said, feeling a tuft of Huma's hair. Her tone was dismissive. She resumed breaking melons. "Use the blow dryer. I want to braid it immediately after cooking. Bolaji's daughter is in the hospital and she needs support. Since your father isn't here to drive me over, I have to leave quick enough to catch an early bus. I won't be back until Monday."

Huma listened. Bolaji used to be their neighbor before the move. Her husband had traveled abroad, left both mother and daughter behind. Thinning her lips, she watched Zainab's busy fingers. Itching to help, Huma scooped up some melons but Zainab caught her hand and emptied it.

"Go do what I've told you to." Instead Huma grabbed the tray. Scowling, Zainab held on. "I said go! This child--Oiza, let go of the tray!" Soon it became a tug of war both sides unyielding until Zainab pulled back roughly, jerking the tray free. It's content sprang to the ground.

"Are you happy now that you've succeeded?" Zainab demanded, standing as Huma knelt to gather the scattered melons. "Why can't you just leave me be? Did I do something to you, is that it?"

Vehemently, Huma shook her head, on the verge of tears.

"Then what is it? Why must you trouble me?" Zainab stormed into the house. Sniffling, Huma wiped her eyes and went about fixing yet another trouble she'd caused.

********

Uche could sense Huma's eyes on her, but every time she looked up ,those eyes would avert to the book presently open on her laps. As Uche contemplated confrontation, a knock sounded. They both shared a puzzled glance, unsure if they'd heard right. When Uche opened it, a girl she recognised as a tenant of the hostel beamed at her.

"Good day!" She chirped. "I'm Jane, and I sell underwear!" She was holding a transparent plastic bag which she held up for Uche to see." The bail opened today and we have newer and better wares: lingeries, panties, bras. It's all here."

Before Jane could display them, Uche politely said. "Maybe some other time. It's the end of month, and I'm out of cash." Now that they'd been accepted, random knocks on their door had become more frequent.

The girl's smile never faltered. "You will have money. I understand, but you can always pay later. It doesn't have to be now. It's not like you're running away. Just see them first. I'm sure you'll like--"

"Jane, is it? Next time." Uche said firmly. That perfunctory smile cracked a fraction. From behind, Huma poked her head. Jane caught Huma staring at the contents of her bag and quickly redirected her focus and honeyed tongue.

"Hello, beautiful! See something you like. Something your hubby might be interested in," Jane wriggled her brows. At the comment, Huma hid her ringed hand. "Come have a look, "
Huma looked to Uche for help as Jane's predatory hands latched onto her but Uche, moving away, brought out her phone that instant and began conversing with-Huma thought- no one.

"Come on, don't be shy,"

Soon Huma had been shown all sorts of underwear which she either felt of stretched as goaded by Jane. Months ago she would have paled in shock at the sight of them hung outside. A lacey, red bra caught her eye. It was pretty.