Interlude V

Interlude v

"Oga Law, is dat you? Dis one dat you dey here by dis time...enwere m olile anya nsogbu adighi." Madam Chi Chi, a vivacious, sinewy woman and the owner of THE LOCAL PLACE said, leaning forward on the counter. "Mr Law, is that you? It's a surprise seeing you here at this time...I hope there's no problem."

Lawrence who had been in deep thought, sitting with his legs crossed at the ankles and arms folded on the wooden table, looked over at the woman's sharply cut face, smiled lazily. "Nsogbu adighi, no problem. None at all." He said. "I dey pass by when I jus say make I come relax small. Am I not welcome here anymore?"

"No be like dat nah. That's not what I mean." She grinned, revealing two missing teeth. " You know say nah you be my number one customer, and nah you dey bring customers for me. Ever since you dey chop for here, I dey get more women customers because say you dey show your fine face. Some even dey find you come here. Nah jus because you no dey too come again. I kon dey wonder say maybe you don see person wey cook pass me, na in cause am-me, I know say you like food well well. You kon come late, e don pass time to chop. You're a very important customer to me, and because you come here to eat often, I've been getting new customers, particularly women who love your visuals. Some even ask after you. You've not been coming these days, so I was thinking maybe you'd found a better cook than i---I know how much you love good food. Besides, it's late and past dinner time."

The woman was spot on but he wasn't going to admit it. "Of course not. I've just been busy."

"Ehen?Really?" She expanded the word, her tone doubtful. "Nah true talk be dat? Is that really the truth? Sometimes I dey ask myself why you no dey go all those big big restaurants wey big men dey go go chop. Sometimes I wonder why you don't eat in expensive, classy restaurants like rich people do."

"Dey no sabi cook nah." He stated simply. "With all their class, the food is nothing to write home about, and I can't squander money that way. Yours is the real deal, prepared just the way I like it. Nah you be number one for where I dey. As far as I'm concerned you offer the best." While he extolled her services, holding both thumbs ups, Mama Chi Chi demurred.

Flattered, she chuckled in an effusive manner, palming her chest. "Ah, you and that tongue of yours." She paused, a sly look narrowing her eyes. "So you wan tell me say fine girl wey dey come here no join the reason why you dey chop for here? Are you saying the beautiful woman who comes here isn't part of the reason you eat here, too."

Out of habit, Lawrence glanced at where Uche used to seat, a vantage spot three tables away which was presently occupied by a scrawny man drinking pepper soup with such greedy avidity that he drew sympathetic head shakes from other customers. Caught, he acknowledged his guilt. "You no go blame me nah. You can't blame me. I've got eyes. Shebi we go go well together? Won't we look good together?"

"Well," Mama Chi Chi smacked the back of one hand into the palm of the other, "Una go look good sha. You guys would look great--" she suddenly realized that there was nothing on his table, "Yetunde didn't serve you?"

"It's alright," he said before the woman could call for the waitress. "I don't want anything. I told her so."

"Ehheen...okay. So, what was I saying?" she mused.

"We'd make a great couple." Lawrence prompted. On a usual day, he'd avoid protracting conversations such as this but Mama Chi Chi was every bit as vivacious as Rita-the kind of people who'd find something to talk about from the words you utter, and could keep talking until the sun came up. Besides, he needed the distraction right now.