Chapter 11.2

A few breezy, bumpless minutes saw them at another car park situated across an orchard with resplendent variegated leaves, behind the multiple storey buildings of lackluster gray allotted to the social sciences.

Alighting, Huma, having being instructed by Uche, stepped aside, distancing herself from other passengers as they gathered around the tetchy driver who, grumbling about people's inattentiveness when he'd strictly stated only those with the exact T-fare amount should board his bus, collected money and doled out change.

Clasping jotter and pen in front of her, restlessly tapping a finger against its cover, she watched while Uche waited her turn, her lips tugged down in a deep frown. The shades were back on, concealing those eyes that captivated her with a familiar sense of camaraderie. Without their friendliness, she saw an imposing distant figure, someone she didn't know at all.

Uche hadn't said a word to her during the drive, facing the window and the passing scene through it. Is she avoiding me? Maybe what she'd told them bothered her that much, Huma thought, even though she'd relayed it in such a dispassionate manner. She felt guilty. Why had her father opened his big mouth?

Loss changed people. It had changed her, and Huma wondered what Uche would have been like before bereavement. What would have happened if she'd lost her parents alongside Cody? She'd be devastated, but there would be consoling hands, embraces offered by her extended families. Uche had none. Then how had she managed this far on her own? The more Huma thought about it the more grateful she was for having breathing, healthy parents, and also, the more she admired this....strong-willed stranger.

Studying Uche's face, Huma observed her jaws go tight then relax, like she was holding something in. It crossed her mind to inquire later when enough courage would have been mustered-as well as thank her for the save back at the trees--but reconsidered the thought: her mother always reiterated minding your business where others were involved. Besides, Uche might find it intrusive and ignore her. Or, worse, yell.

Done paying, Uche strolled over and they walked out of the park, sidestepping potholes, cramming past the lined buses, and began down a tarred road bustling with people despite the weekend. An age-long, impregnable gate was at the end. Trees lined up on either sides, casting shades on the sidewalk and under which food and recharge card stands were mounted and patronized. Out of habit, Huma straggled behind at a comfortable distance, eyes wandering.

"What are you doing back there?" Uche asked over a shoulder, startling Huma's eyes wide. She kept her pace brisk, never faltering. "Am I walking too fast for you?" When Huma shook her head, she motioned the girl forward. "Then walk beside me. Can't keep looking back to check if you're still there."

A corporately dressed boy with headphones on swaggered through their middle, prompting Huma to shift sideways in order to accommodate him, the space he left behind she maintained between them.

"Next time, don't move." Uche said, her frown deepening in disapproval.

Puzzled, Huma glanced at her, brows knitted.

"When you're walking with someone, never part in the middle," Uche elucidated. "He would have simply walked around us."

He would have, maybe, but it was a polite opportunity Huma couldn't resist. She needed that breathing space.

Half way through a mud-splashed Camri with a smashed windscreen was parked on the sidewalk, and as they approached Uche drew closer so as to move around it. Huma compensated by encroaching on the road.

"I suggest you stay closer to me," said Uche, glancing back for incoming vehicles. A jeep had slowed and was veering in. "I've been down this road a couple times. The drivers are speed demons, so you might want to--."